This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can't access random websites. DNS questions.

I'm having some strange DNS behavior. My config: I have a HyperV Host  with two NICS running a DNS server and Sophos Firewall. 1 NIC is connected to the modem, and the other is connected to an asus router. I'm using Sophos as the DHCP server, and I have everything on the intranet using the local DNS server. I have DNS Forwarders in Sophos pointing to the OpenDNS IPs. I'm having two problems. 1. when I go to welcome.opendns.com it says I'm not using the OpenDNS IPs. 2. Random websites are failing to load with a ERROR_CONNECTION_REST or ERROR_CONNECTION_ABORTED. I've tried connecting a router to the modem directly and I don't have any issues getting to the same websites that fail when i go through the firewall. So, I don't think it's the modem/ISP. Googling the errors everything tells me that it's DNS related, but I have no idea why. I've made a rule on firewall to open all ports to my laptop, so I don't know what else could be blocking.  Anyone have any ideas why i only have issues reaching some sites when going through the firewall?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • That was it! I manually changed the MTU to be 1500 (matched Internal) after modifying default.conf. I made a back up of the original .conf file in case a fix is officially released and I need to revert my change. All sites appear to be working now. Hopefully this gets patched for Charter customers soon. Thank you everyone for the help figuring this out!

• Hi Jadec,

That's fantastic and I'm glad you managed to get it resolved.

It has hit quite a few people and it's definitely on Sophos' radar to resolve so hopefully in an incoming release it will be fixed!

Emile