This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Data disk is filling up

Hi all.  My SUM just started sending out alerts saying "Data Disk is filling up - please check. Current usage: 76%".  I have logging set very low, so I don't think I'm getting full of logs.  Has anyone ever seen this error and found out what causes it?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • data partition != log partition.
    These are separate partitions. You can look via SSH which folders are growing on your data disk.

----------
    Sophos user, admin and reseller.
    Private Setup:

• XG: HPE DL20 Gen9 (Core i3-7300, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD) | XG 18.0 (Home License) with: Web Protection, Site-to-Site-VPN (IPSec, RED-Tunnel), Remote Access (SSL, HTML5)
    • UTM: 2 vCPUs, 2GB RAM, 50GB vHDD, 2 vNICs on vServer (KVM) | UTM 9.7 (Home License) with: Email Protection, Webserver Protection, RED-Tunnel (server)
  • data partition != log partition.
    These are separate partitions. You can look via SSH which folders are growing on your data disk.

What's the best way to do that?
  • E.g. as root:
    du -hsx /var/storage/* | sort -rh | head -10

Gives the 10 biggest folders

----------
    Private Setup:

• XG: HPE DL20 Gen9 (Core i3-7300, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD) | XG 18.0 (Home License) with: Web Protection, Site-to-Site-VPN (IPSec, RED-Tunnel), Remote Access (SSL, HTML5)
    • UTM: 2 vCPUs, 2GB RAM, 50GB vHDD, 2 vNICs on vServer (KVM) | UTM 9.7 (Home License) with: Email Protection, Webserver Protection, RED-Tunnel (server)
  • 6.0G    /var/storage/chroot-u2dcache
    2.1G    /var/storage/swapfile
    1.7G    /var/storage/pgsql92
    1.5G    /var/storage/cores
    221M    /var/storage/chroot-http
    87M     /var/storage/chroot-clientlessvpn
    66M     /var/storage/chroot-smtp
    65M     /var/storage/chroot-accd
    25M     /var/storage/chroot-reverseproxy
    17M     /var/storage/chroot-pop3

Looks like the Up2Date folder is the worst offender
  • You should consider rebuilding your SUM with a bigger HDD. Seems you chose a quite small one in the past...

----------
    Private Setup:

• Hi StupendousYappi,

thanks for reporting that issue. 
    We are going to investigate if and why the u2dcache is using too much space of your hard disk.

Could you please send your hard disk size and the partition size? Just send the output of "version", "du -sh /var/storage/chroot-u2dcache/*", "df -h" and "parted -l" ("l" is a lowercase "L").

Best Regards,
    Sebastian
  • I think I have it figured out.  I downloaded the prebuilt VMware ACC image (50GB hard drive) a few years ago, and I've just been upgrading over the same image the whole time.  I see now that there is no more prebuilt image available; we just have to install it like a normal VM.  Here is a related article I found:
    https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/61/t/57012

ftp://ftp.astaro.com/SUM/v4/virtual_appliance/README.txt

sum01:/home/login # df -h
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda6       5.2G  1.7G  3.3G  35% /
    udev            2.0G   76K  2.0G   1% /dev
    tmpfs           2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev/shm
    /dev/sda1       331M   14M  300M   5% /boot
    /dev/sda5        17G   12G  3.7G  77% /var/storage
    /dev/sda7        22G   63M   21G   1% /var/log
    /dev/sda8       1.3G  6.5M  1.2G   1% /tmp
    tmpfs           2.0G   20K  2.0G   1% /var/sec/chroot-httpd/dev/shm
    tmpfs           2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /var/storage/chroot-reverseproxy/dev/shm
    tmpfs           2.0G   44K  2.0G   1% /var/storage/chroot-smtp/tmp/ram

Our VMware admin wanted to try increasing the hard drive size and then using the resize2fs, since it seems to be based on Suse Linux, so he took a snapshot and tried, but it did not work. I'll reinstall using an ISO and import my config.

sum01:/home/login # cat /proc/version
    Linux version 3.8.13.27-36.g539e729-smp64 (abuild@axgbuild) (gcc version 4.3.4 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 152973] (SUSE Linux) ) #1 SMP Mon Oct 20 16:26:28 UTC 2014