This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM connects to blank SUM although password is set

I had to reinstall my Hyper-V host some months ago. All works fine, but all my VMs have new MAC addresses. Result is that I cannot connect to my SUM virtual machine anymore. It boots up fine, but I guess it cannot find its old interface hardware.
No problem, I wanted to upgrade it to 4.2 anyway. So I shut the old VM down and installed a new SUM VM. I thought I would copy the firewall rules by hand from one of the UTMs and then switch over to the new SUM. Of course, during install I gave it the same IP address that the old one had so I wouldn't have to reconfigure all my UTMs. I thought this would be safe because I had setup a shared password for the connection between UTMs and SUM, and had not entered that password in the new SUM yet.

But: Up goes the new VM and down go all my connections. The UTMs connected to the new, blank SUM and all my firewall rules were gone.

I expected the SUM to refuse the connections because they had a "wrong" password. But it looks like you can use any password you like if no password is configured in the SUM. 
I think this is wrong and SUM should refuse connection attempts with a shared password if none is configured in the SUM.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • That's good to hear. Because right now frankly I don't see the point of the shared key mechanism. 
    Surely an unauthorized machine configuring all my firewalls is much more critical than an unauthorized firewall reading my configuration? So why protect against the latter and not the former?
  • That's good to hear. Because right now frankly I don't see the point of the shared key mechanism. 
    Surely an unauthorized machine configuring all my firewalls is much more critical than an unauthorized firewall reading my configuration? So why protect against the latter and not the former?
Children
No Data