This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM connects to blank SUM although password is set

I had to reinstall my Hyper-V host some months ago. All works fine, but all my VMs have new MAC addresses. Result is that I cannot connect to my SUM virtual machine anymore. It boots up fine, but I guess it cannot find its old interface hardware.
No problem, I wanted to upgrade it to 4.2 anyway. So I shut the old VM down and installed a new SUM VM. I thought I would copy the firewall rules by hand from one of the UTMs and then switch over to the new SUM. Of course, during install I gave it the same IP address that the old one had so I wouldn't have to reconfigure all my UTMs. I thought this would be safe because I had setup a shared password for the connection between UTMs and SUM, and had not entered that password in the new SUM yet.

But: Up goes the new VM and down go all my connections. The UTMs connected to the new, blank SUM and all my firewall rules were gone.

I expected the SUM to refuse the connections because they had a "wrong" password. But it looks like you can use any password you like if no password is configured in the SUM. 
I think this is wrong and SUM should refuse connection attempts with a shared password if none is configured in the SUM.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Chris, if you have a paid license, please have your reseller submit a Support request.  In any case, this sounds like a Feature that's urgently needed!

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks for the reply. I don't have any paid licenses (lots of Essential and Home Editions though).
    I don't think this is exactly a feature, but I put it in there: Have SUM refuse UTM connections with shared password if none is set in SUM

For the future: Is there anything I could have done to bring the old VM back online? What do you do on physical hardware if the NIC dies and has to be replaced with a new one with a new MAC address? (Still assuming that was the root problem, but I can't think of anything else...)
  • Hi Chris, 

the password behavior is by design. Effectively, the password field allows the SUM server to authenticate the UTM, and not setting a password disables authentication. 

Your specific scenario is interesting, and does make a good case for some sort of additional protection or behavior change - Perhaps some sort of confirmation before removing existing managed configuration.

In the mean-time, bringing the new SUM server up under a different IP temporarily, would allow you to first configure it or restore a backup, before existing UTMs would attempt to connect to it.
  • Maybe the shared secret could be requested in the initial system setup dialog on the first boot? Then I would have entered something different and changed it later.

Yes, in retrospect it would have been better to use another IP temporarily. I'll make a note for next time [;)]
  • As Alan stated this is a known issue.

We are currently reworking the authentication process and this behaviour will be fixed in future SUM versions.
  • That's good to hear. Because right now frankly I don't see the point of the shared key mechanism. 
    Surely an unauthorized machine configuring all my firewalls is much more critical than an unauthorized firewall reading my configuration? So why protect against the latter and not the former?