This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Silly SUM Catch22 - lack of insight?

I will make this very simple:

I have several UTMs setup for MSP licensing and management. On one of the first UTMs we setup the central management server using a HOST definition. We did so because the the FQDN for the SUM had not been set yet.

All subsequent UTMs contact the SUM via a DNS HOST definition.  

Fast forward to today and the SUM has changed IPs. Clearly all of the UTMs that use the DNS HOST definition for the SUM are fine but UTM with the HOST definition is now unable to contact the SUM because the IP is not correct.

While I can change the HOST definition to reflect the new IP, I would much prefer to change the UTMs CentralManagement settings. However, this is not possible because A) a definition can NOT be edited anc changed from "HOST" to "DNS HOST" and B) because once a UTM is in MSP licensing mode Central Management settings can NOT be changed unless the UTM is removed from the MSP program. 

So let me get this straight, SOPHOS has decided that as system administrators we are smart enough to initially set Central Management for MSP and manage MSP from SUM but to f'ing stupid to be trusted to change those settings from the UTM? If I sound annoyed, I am.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Bob,

My complaint was certainly not directed toward you or another other end user. Like the other thread regarding IPsec, I am simply frustrated and wish to air that frustration in a venue where other end users and dealers can see it.

I have already contacted support regarding the issues and given the arc and timeline of the IPsec issue, I feel that a little public arm twisting is warranted.
  • Bob,

My complaint was certainly not directed toward you or another other end user. Like the other thread regarding IPsec, I am simply frustrated and wish to air that frustration in a venue where other end users and dealers can see it.

I have already contacted support regarding the issues and given the arc and timeline of the IPsec issue, I feel that a little public arm twisting is warranted.
Children
  • I saw the same issue here -- the way around it is to use CC at the command line.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.