This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Software-ASG on Hyper-V2012R2 - some general questions

Hi there!

During the last year we installed a lot of hardware-utms  for several clients.
And we loved it!
Now we have to plan a project, where we rent server-capacity in a datacenter to sell it to our custumers.
We plan to let about 500 clients work against one Software-ASG/UTM.
We can't use any hardware-solution, because we aren't allowd to place any own hardware into the datacenter.
We will start with 100 clients in March2014.
Will it be possible to solve this with a software-UTM running on Hyper-V2012R2? (I've read about actual stability problems in this forum, but officially Hyper-V2012 is supported. And we will start in a few month, not now..)
Next question:
What about VLANS?: Am I able to create +/-50 VLANs (virtual Networkadapter in the Hyper-V-VM? (yes, this is a Hyper-V question, but maybe here is anyone with experience ;-)) and:
Am I able to use that 50NICs in one Software-UTM?
Are there any experienced persons;-) in relation to active-active or active-passive-cluster in such a enviroment?

Thanks für every hint and advice!!!

Kind regards… Jochen

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,
    by clients you mean one person, not a small business with a couple of staff?
    Won't the clients have to connect over a VPN of some sort to get to the UTM? In theory the UTM will handle the vlans, but it will be a nightmare to manage.

Please provide a small diagram of what you are planning.

Ian

XG115W - v20.0.2 MR-2 - Home

XG on VM 8 - v21 EAP

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hi lan, hi everybody!
    By clients I meant RDP-users.
    We have to handle about 500 users in 50 locations.
    Every location is a seperate enterprise.
    All file- and rdp-servers for each enterprise are located in the central datacenter.
    To seperate them from each other, we put them into seperate VLANs.
    Because we aren't allowed to place any own hardware into this datacenter, we intend to use software-utms running in hyper-v-VMs.
    It would be great, if we could handle all VLANs with one software-utm (or an active-active-cluster). But if its not possible, there is no problem to use two ore more utms.

So Im searching for experiences in such a scenario.
    The main-questions are:
    - Do I really have to create a virtual (hyper-v-)nic for each VLAN?
    - How many virtual-nics can I assign to one virtual machine? (HyperV2012R2 theoretically an practically)
    - How many "eths" can a software-utm handle?
    - Performance? ;-)

Thanks for your support!! Cheers Jochen
  • Hi Jochen,
    this is seat of pants stuff until one of the experts arrives.

CPUs probably assign 4
    ram a minimum of 16gb
    Internal interfaces (virtual) will depend on your licence no use going 100 NICs with a 50 user licence.
    VLANs, RDP sessions don't usually require much data, so 20 vlans per nic to help with the management. Assumption all interfaces are 1gb full duplex?

Go from there.

Ian

XG115W - v20.0.2 MR-2 - Home

XG on VM 8 - v21 EAP

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hi there!

Will it be possible to solve this with a software-UTM running on Hyper-V2012R2? (I've read about actual stability problems in this forum, but officially Hyper-V2012 is supported. And we will start in a few month, not now..)
    … Jochen

Hi, No idea about HyperV.
    We are running a couple of UTM on XEN. No issues on stability. Performance simply depends on the hypervisor. HA does work as expected.

However, compared with hardware you might keep in mind:
    - no real serial console 
    - different lisence schema
    - how to install and do first time wizard without physical access
    Regards,
    ciscoman