This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

redundant IPSEC Site2Site VPN

We actualy manage several UTMs with the SUM v4.1

Now we want to create redundant VPN connections.

The UTMs sometimes have 1-3 Internetuplinks.

Sample:

1st VPN from Site-A 2/2MBit -> Site-B 50/50MBit
2nd VPN from Site-A 2/0,256MBit -> Site-B 5/5MBit

So we want to have this two connections to be prepared for a fault situation.

We like to user the 1st VPN all the time, but if the 1st fails (line down), we want to switch automatically to the 2nd. And - if it is possible switch back to the faster Line after it is back.

How this could be managed with the SUM?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Daniel, you can't define two different VPNs between the same two subnets without creating routing problems.  The solution is to be found as per my post above...

Assume that we have:

Site A:

WAN-A1: 94.95.96.97
    WAN-A2: 81.82.83.84

Site B:

WAN-B1: 111.112.113.114
    WAN-B2: 122.123.124.125

Now, to define the VPN...

Site A:
    [LIST=1]

• Create an Availability group named "Site B WANs" with 111.112.113.114 and 122.123.124.125 in order.
    • Activate Uplink Balancing with both WAN-A1 and WAN-A2.
    • Create a Multipath rule binding IPsec traffic to "Site B WANs" to WAN-A1
    • In the IPsec VPN, use "Uplink Interfaces" in the IPsec Connection for Site B, and "Site B WANs" as the 'Gateway' in the Remote Gateway definition.
    [/LIST]
    Site B:
    [LIST=1]
    • Create an Availability group named "Site A WANs" with 94.95.96.97 and 81.82.83.84 in order.
    • Activate Uplink Balancing with both WAN-B1 and WAN-B2.
    • Create a Multipath rule binding IPsec traffic to "Site A WANs" to WAN-B1
    • In the IPsec VPN, use "Uplink Interfaces" in the IPsec Connection for Site A and "Site A WANs" as the 'Gateway' in the Remote Gateway definition.
    [/LIST]

Hopefully, that prescription is clearer now, but I believe you should have found it already with the above google.  I realize that this is in the UTM Manager forum, but I haven't tried to do such a global VPN configuration with SUM.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Daniel, you can't define two different VPNs between the same two subnets without creating routing problems.  The solution is to be found as per my post above...

Assume that we have:

Site A:

WAN-A1: 94.95.96.97
    WAN-A2: 81.82.83.84

Site B:

WAN-B1: 111.112.113.114
    WAN-B2: 122.123.124.125

Now, to define the VPN...

Site A:
    [LIST=1]

• Create an Availability group named "Site B WANs" with 111.112.113.114 and 122.123.124.125 in order.
    • Activate Uplink Balancing with both WAN-A1 and WAN-A2.
    • Create a Multipath rule binding IPsec traffic to "Site B WANs" to WAN-A1
    • In the IPsec VPN, use "Uplink Interfaces" in the IPsec Connection for Site B, and "Site B WANs" as the 'Gateway' in the Remote Gateway definition.
    [/LIST]
    Site B:
    [LIST=1]
    • Create an Availability group named "Site A WANs" with 94.95.96.97 and 81.82.83.84 in order.
    • Activate Uplink Balancing with both WAN-B1 and WAN-B2.
    • Create a Multipath rule binding IPsec traffic to "Site A WANs" to WAN-B1
    • In the IPsec VPN, use "Uplink Interfaces" in the IPsec Connection for Site A and "Site A WANs" as the 'Gateway' in the Remote Gateway definition.
    [/LIST]

Hopefully, that prescription is clearer now, but I believe you should have found it already with the above google.  I realize that this is in the UTM Manager forum, but I haven't tried to do such a global VPN configuration with SUM.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data