This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bug in Licensing Reporting

Running ACC V1.4:

We reinstalled an existing (test system, fortunately) ASG 6.305 system (which was already connected to our production ACC Server) with Version 7, and restored the backup using the new Backup Restore tool (hence, I'm not sure if this is an ASG Restore issue or an ACC issue, hopefully Astaro can figure this one out) --- well, things didn't go too well... The agent was erroring out on the ASG, so we turned it off on the ASG, and then removed the unit from ACC.  We then turned back on the ACC agent on the ASG device, and it showed up in ACC just fine, no more errors, etc... but there's one issue;  while the ASG Webadmin shows that only 1 of the available 50 licenses are in use (using our partner license for testing), ACC shows 232 out of 50 licensed IPs in use... and there's only 2 computers even sitting behind this thing!  We tried removing the ASG, once again, from ACC, then readding it, but the wierd license count (and associated threat bar) persist.  It's been a little over 24 hours... and it's still not right.  Something definitely happened with the version change, I'm sure of it, but it needs to be fixed.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

thanks for reporting the issue with licensed IPs. This bug will be fixed in the next maintenance up2date of the ASG V7 device agent.

I guess the device guid should better be skipped in backup conversion V6->V7 because it seems to mess up the ACC still thinking of the device as V6 ...

Cheers,
    Henning
  • Henning-thanks for the quick response:

1) Why can't these statistics (that apparently linger in the ACC database even after a delete) simply be deleted when one deletes an ASG out of the console?

2) I wouldn't suggest just skipping the GUID import; think about the folks that have many, many devices linked to an ACC install... it would be really inconvenient for them to have to reconfigure each ASG manually (we are already going to suffer with the lack of SMTP and HTTP Proxy settings not moving from Version 6 to Version 7!) just for this issue.

As an aside, any ETA on when Version 7 will work with SSO and ACC?

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Henning-thanks for the quick response:

1) Why can't these statistics (that apparently linger in the ACC database even after a delete) simply be deleted when one deletes an ASG out of the console?

2) I wouldn't suggest just skipping the GUID import; think about the folks that have many, many devices linked to an ACC install... it would be really inconvenient for them to have to reconfigure each ASG manually (we are already going to suffer with the lack of SMTP and HTTP Proxy settings not moving from Version 6 to Version 7!) just for this issue.

As an aside, any ETA on when Version 7 will work with SSO and ACC?

Sophos Platinum Partner

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

Children
  • Forgot to ask... given that I can't seem to get rid of the errant statistics by removing the device from the Web-based admin; is there a command line command that I can issue from SSH to get this garbage data out of the database?

Sophos Platinum Partner

• Hi,

1) On deleting a device in ACC all data will be completely removed including database entries and cache files. If the device is still configured for ACC usage, it will reconnect after a few seconds, hence blasting in its data again, including the erraneous active IP count. Deleting a device only makes sense, if you have deactivated it in the WebAdmin of the ASG. This active IP count is currently not in the database, it is volatile monitoring information which is replaced every 10 seconds if one or more admins are watching the monitoring stats, otherwise every 300 seconds on an "idle" ACC system.

2) We first need to reproduce the issue with the V6->V7 backup import, haven't seen this yet. I agree, that reconfiguring the guid would be an unnecessary burden.

You know I cannot give an ETA on Up2Date packages but it will definitely not make it this month or the next three weeks. We'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
    Henning
  • In response to the License count issue; yeah, we tried what you describe.  The ASG itself reports the proper count (1 or 2 users)... ACC is what is misrepresenting the user count as over 200 user (indeed, the number often exceeds the number of hosts one can have in a class C network!)... perhaps the agent on the ASG collecting the data is scrambled?  Is there a way to reset the statistics the agent is sending--or possibly the licensing DB on the ASG (if that may have some part in it, though it seems it doesn't)?

Sophos Platinum Partner

• Interesting thing we just figured out--while troubleshooting another apparent bug in ASG 7.005, we reloaded the unit from scratch, and imported the last V7 backup made after the import from V6; the License count in ACC is now accurate--it appears the V6 import process "damages" the ACC agent somehow in the process... not sure how.  Anyway, restoring the backup worked.  What worries me is how this will affect customers that have many, many ASG units to upgrade!

Sophos Platinum Partner

• Hi,

There is no way to reset any data, the device agent will be polled for updates every so often and then report back erraneous data. The bug is in the device agent and nowhere else. Hence, we can fix it in an upcoming Up2Date for ASG V7.

There is no evidence that the import progress damages the device agent. It's a plain bug in the ASG V7 device agent binary, so whether you import a backup or just start from scratch will not make a difference. It seems pure coincidence that the number reported is correct at the moment.

Additionally, there should be no worries updating many ASG units, even if they report a wrong active IP count. Next time the devices are updated, magic will work and the numbers will be correct.

Cheers,
    Henning
  • 7.006 contains a fix for the false reportings on active IPs.

Cheers,
    Henning