This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ACC unable to be installed in VMware

Tried the install, get a grub error 18. Googled it, it is because of the location of the /boot partition.

Can't get around it unless you put the /boot as like the first partition, which ACC doesn't do. Or use smaller than an 8GB drive, which can't be done due to system requirements.

Oh well.. I can't dedicate a system to ACC, but I had lots of room in our ESX farm.

Astaro, you guys might want to reconsider how you have the partitions laid out in a future release. Or maybe provide a workaround for those customers who want to use ACC in Vmware. This may happen a lot more since you guys have made the switch to grub.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi, 

Actually I'm testing ACC in VMware right now, here the settings:

- Use General Linux 2.6 Kernel
    - Use IDE Harddisk
    - Harddisk size 16GB
    (VMware anyway will not use all 16GB but only the ones needed, after installation the used size for the disk is shown as 800MB)

Regards,
    Dave.
  • Unfortunately Nekos, VMware ESX doesn't use IDE disks. Only virtual SCSI drives.
  • Perhaps we will get another virtual appliance that will work in ESX in a few days *hint hint*
  • This sounds more like an issue with VMWare ESX because ACC works on all of the other virtual machine software out there.
  • The issue is actually with Grub, and since Astaro has switched from using Lilo to grub, this issue would probably also show up with ASG V7 when it comes out.  It is because of the location on the virtual hdd where they boot the boot, which is partition 7. 

I would be glad to work with Astaro on this issue, if they wanted to. It really isn't that hard to solve, just relocate where the /boot goes as far as the partition layout. Simple.
  • The issue is actually with Grub, and since Astaro has switched from using Lilo to grub, this issue would probably also show up with ASG V7 when it comes out.  It is because of the location on the virtual hdd where they boot the boot, which is partition 7. 

I would be glad to work with Astaro on this issue, if they wanted to. It really isn't that hard to solve, just relocate where the /boot goes as far as the partition layout. Simple.
Children