This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Updated to 9.601-5, received a new notice under Endpoint Protection about it expiring/EOL?

IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR SOPHOS UTM ENDPOINT PROTECTION CUSTOMERS

We have now stopped selling Sophos UTM Endpoint Protection subscriptions as of December 31st, 2018 and will retire support at the end of 2019.

Customers should upgrade — for free — to Sophos Central-managed Endpoint Protection which delivers enhanced protection and management capabilities. Learn more: https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/122865

So does the Free version have to do this as well, or do we just go as is?  Sort of a cryptic message to spew out to us.  Does it mean we are going to lose our free version too?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I have a Sophos UTM 9 home use license and in the licensing area it says that I can protect up to 12 endpoints. I've not used endpoint protection but after receiving the EOL message I decided to give Sophos Central Endpoint Protection a try. I set up a 30 day trial as described in the migration documentation.

community.sophos.com/.../122865

The document states.

"Contact Sophos Customer Care (customercare@sophos.com) and have your UTM License ID available. They will be able to provide you with a license for Central Endpoint Protection (CEP) equivalent to your original UTM endpoint protection license. This will include a license key which you can apply in the Sophos Central interface to convert your account from trial to fully licensed, please allow up to 5 working days for this activation key to arrive.
    Note: Server protection needs to be licensed separately via Sophos Central."

So I sent in my license ID. I received a response that this only applies to paid versions of Endpoint Protection, so my home use license does not qualify. So, heads up to home license users. Don't waste your time trying to convert your endpoint license to the cloud based version.

It was a little disappointing that I was not able to convert my license since I had planned to play with Sophos Central and consider whether I might recommend it to my customers. However, it's likely that I would not have recommended it since there's no good way to verify the efficacy of the product since Sophos does not participate in third party testing by organizations such as av-comparatives and av-test. Without unbiased scientific testing it's hard to say just how effective an antivirus product is compared to the competition. I have no idea how effective Sophos's antivirus products are. They could be the best in the world, or they could be mediocre. Without some sort of benchmark it's just a guess. Sophos hypes their technologies such as Heartbeat and Intercept X, but without third party verification it takes a leap of faith to trust these products.

I would like to see Sophos compete head to head with competing products in scientific testing, and if Sophos feels that the tests don't reflect real world use then I would like to see Sophos point out testing errors and perhaps help the test sites work toward a better testing model.

Rob

• Interesting....

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/business-windows-client/windows-10/april-2019/sophos-endpoint-security-and-control-10.8-191522/

Thought you said their software wasn't tested at av-test?

Here's the mobile news:  https://news.sophos.com/en-us/2019/03/22/av-test-and-av-comparatives-give-sophos-mobile-security-100/

I went and bought the home user 10-computer to replace EOL for Endpoint, and was pointed out that it is better than Endpoint is (the first link I posted here).  I think we're okay to use it, based off the scores the software receives.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

Reply Children