This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RED60 randomly dropping

Hi all

I wanted to post on here so if anyone else comes across this then it may help them

I've got a customer with UTM and 40+ REDs, been running for years with mixture of RED10, RED15, RED20 and RED50.

I'm now upgrading some sites to RED60 but first deployment has caused major headache whereby the RED60 randomly stops working. Lights are on, UTM console confirms its working and in the live logs you see the "Ping - Pong" entries.

The unit was RMA'ed, replacement in, seems great until 2 weeks later the issue recurs. 

By disabling the RED in UTM console, RED Management, leave for 1 minute and turn back on resolves it, traffic starts flowing again.

I've now been told by Sophos that RED60 require IEEE 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) to be turned off on any devices connected to it. At this site in question it has a Netgear GS116 connected and you can't turn it off. So now I'm in the process of purchasing a managed switch where I can disable it and hope that resolves it. I'll update this post in a few weeks once I know its worked.

Be interesting to know if anyone else has come across this problem.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi all,

I can confirm by replacing an unmanaged switch with IEEE 802.3az enabled to a managed switch which allows you to turn off this feature does fix the issue. The managed switch has been in place for 2 weeks now, no dropouts with the RED60.