Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Xbox live not working

I have an xbox 360 with xbox live.  I have the ports open and I can pass all the xbox networking tests.  But when I try to create a xbox live party or game or join a friends party or game it fails.  It doesnt fail for every friend but for the majority of them it fails.

I can plug my xbox directly into the cable modem which bypasses the astaro firewall and then I can connect with the same friends I was not able to when I was connected to the astaro.

Is there some other exclusions I can apply in astaro so the I completely bypass astaro for my xbox?

I am using astaro version 8.203.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • try adding your xbox to the Transparent mode skiplist
  • I am assuming I would put the xbox IP in the source and destination transparent mode skiplist boxes?

I will try this in a couple hours when my friends get home from work.
  • Yes that seems to work on our network
  • I put the xbox in both skiplist boxes and tried it and it did not work.  I still could not join my friends xbox game and he could could not join my game.  This is the same friend that I was able to join with the xbox directly connected to the cable modem, and he was able to join my games.

Do you have any other suggestions?
  • How is the cable modem connected to firewall ? Is it a cable modem with a built in switch ?
  • Turbo - it is not a cable modem with a built in switch.  It just has one port which I currently have plugged into astaro.

eganders - I have all those ports defined.  I also tried to any, any, xbox on source and destination.  I can pass all the xbox tests but I cant join friends games and they cant join mine.  But if I connect directly to the cable modem I can connect with those same friends.

Is there some other filter that I would need to exclude the xbox from?
  • Basically, you need two things.  Port rules for the firewall - which it sounds like you have, and NAT rules to direct inbound traffic destined for your Xbox, which you don't mention, so I think that's what you're missing.
  • I do have DNAT rules in.  I have 5 nat rules for the xbox, one for each xbox port.  The nat rules look like this, any -> xbox port 1 -> external address.  Is there any other nat rules that I would need?
  • I do have DNAT rules in.  I have 5 nat rules for the xbox, one for each xbox port.  The nat rules look like this, any -> xbox port 1 -> external address.  Is there any other nat rules that I would need?

Not sure from your abbreviated listing - but here's what you need:
    Any (to cover all your buddies) > Service (XBox ports you want to pass) > IP of your External side NIC > DNAT'ed to > Destination Computer (Your Internal side NIC).

After you've built however many of these you need, note that you could alternatively build a consolidated group in services, and then call it XBox or similar.  Then in your NAT rules, you'd only need one rule in place instead of 5.

To do that, define each port service you need (all 5 of them) then define a 6th service as a group (your XBox group), and make the 5 members.