This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Default QoS DSCP policy table

Hi folks,

when you enable QoS on a switch, the switch applies a default DSCP policy table, which can be edited to special needs if necessary, but overall it should be fine.

Now, does the Sophos UTM also work that way?

Is it sufficient to just enable QoS status on the interface and the UTM would prioritize traffic according a default DSCP table,
or do I really need to specify my traffic selectors (based on DSCP values) in order to "make QoS work"

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi folks, 

thank you for your replies.

However I think my question was not fully understood.
    Sure, it is possible to configure a DSCP policy table in the QoS settings and "clone it" like it is on a switch. On top of that there is far more possible than on a switch.

But this was not the question. 
    It is more like "I don't want to configure it"...
    So how does the UTM act when only QoS is enabled but no bandwithpools and traffic selectors are configured?

Is there like a default QoS / DSCP policy table that is getting used to prioritize traffic?
    Or when QoS is enabled but no traffic selectors etc. are configured, the UTM acts like QoS is disabled?

• The UTM needs to know what to prioritize for QoS traffic.  If nothing is used, then nothing is QOS'd as far as it's concerned, as is my understanding of how it works.  It's not necessarily a smart appliance, it needs some input to work.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• The UTM needs to know what to prioritize for QoS traffic.  If nothing is used, then nothing is QOS'd as far as it's concerned, as is my understanding of how it works.  It's not necessarily a smart appliance, it needs some input to work.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

Children
  • As i said already ... after enabling QOS at the interface, the traffic works more "fair". Fewer dropouts and delays and blocking.
    ... without additional rules.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Hi Dirk,
    I got your answere.

For me this sounds more like "a feeling" you have.
    I hoped for actual documentation or proove.

And the wording "more faire" would be based on (traffic) rules.
    And if so, I want to know theses default rules.

(I am aware of those "basic rules" specified in the UTM help about upload optimizer et cetera. Let's pretend those checkboxes are not enabled)

• As Dirk and Amodin have explained, there is NO "default" DSCP action in UTM QoS.  You won't find that statement in the documentation, but you might find other places where that's stated as explicitly as it is here.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA