This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Internet link up and down in the same minute

Hi,

on a customer site I face a problem that we receive lots of up/down for one link -they have 2 links- in the same minute (can even be twice in a minute) but there is no problem that is feeled.

How is UTM checking a link ? Ping ? Against which IP(s) ? If they are few links, are the destinations IPs same ?

I would like to take a capture from UTM checks to see what is the source of this behaviour.

Thanks for any hint

-- 
Daniel

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Need to figure out - Is it the ISP or is it the UTM?  What network card is in the UTM?  There are incompatible cards that will do this, I have the issue myself in a SuperMicro on-board NIC, that will do this every second or so.

I would check your Kernel Message log and see if you have something like 'link is down', 'link is up' type pattern and post a copy of the logs here.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• UTM is in VM, ISP links are separated in VLANs which means using same card. I already checked logs and didn't see any informations about link down or up.

• Salut Daniel,

What virtual NIC are you using in the VM?

Amodin's suggestion seems to have paid off - it feels like the ISP's problem or an Ethernet cable to the ISP's equipment.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Bonjour Bob and all,

e1000 is the libvirt driver used for WLANs. As I told, both ISPs connections are using the same link -Ethernet card being I350 Gigabit Network Connection- so server HW can not be involved. Another thing is that the customer have 5 locations, all equiped with the same HW, Sophos UTM version and 2 same ISPs- only this site have the problem with this one link.

Will replace cable from switch to ISP equipment.

Thanks.

• Did changing the cable solve the problem, Daniel?

I don't remember the issue, but using e1000 virtual NICs seems to cause a problem with the UTM.  The recommended one is vmxnet3.  Does the problem persist if you make that change?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello Bob. We changed the cable from switch to ISP router, and we have much less problems. In the mean time I asked ISP to fix the floow to 1000/full instead of auto (already done on our side), don't know if they did it.

Concerning the virtual NIC, I would agree if *both* ISP links would have the problem as all the traffic is going out with the same NIC using VLANs. Can give a try to vmxnet3 if problem still persistent.

On another site from this customer I faced problem with one VM (Asterisk on Ubuntu 20.04) where the NIC was e1000: network stopped twice to work after around 3 weeks, host OS being RH. The same setup with host OS Ubuntu 16/18/20 *never* had any problem. I switched to virtio for this VM 2 weeks ago, will see what is the result.

Daniel

• Hello Bob. We changed the cable from switch to ISP router, and we have much less problems. In the mean time I asked ISP to fix the floow to 1000/full instead of auto (already done on our side), don't know if they did it.

Concerning the virtual NIC, I would agree if *both* ISP links would have the problem as all the traffic is going out with the same NIC using VLANs. Can give a try to vmxnet3 if problem still persistent.

On another site from this customer I faced problem with one VM (Asterisk on Ubuntu 20.04) where the NIC was e1000: network stopped twice to work after around 3 weeks, host OS being RH. The same setup with host OS Ubuntu 16/18/20 *never* had any problem. I switched to virtio for this VM 2 weeks ago, will see what is the result.

Daniel

Children