This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Netflix page fails to load 90% of times

Hi everybody,

about a year ago Netflix was working fine for me. But for about half a year now (estimated) I'm having severe problems even loading their page. Usually I have to open 10 browser tabs of which maximum 2 may succeed in loading the page.

Once a video is running it will always play to the end. Continuing with the next episode however may fail again - just as the automatic reporting back that I have seen an episode.

Now the weird thing is is that I have do not have problems loading any other web pages nor other forms of communication (what is allowed of course). The transparent web proxy is only activated for unencrypted traffic, so https should just pass through.

The problem is the same, regardless of the computer running the browser. Name it, Windows, Linux, Firefox, Chrome, IE, the app from the Windows store - all are having the same problem if running behind my Sophos UTM.

The only one that is reliably working is the Android app.

Does anybody have the slightest idea what this might be about? I'm totally at my wits end. I have spent endless hours doing traces, browsing logfiles, etc..

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hallo,

Does doing #1 in Rulz (last updated 2021-02-16) give you any hints?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Sorry for the delayed response. Had little time and wanted to go through your post in full first.

I'm afraid I couldn't find anything in the logs. As I said I had already been going through them for months. Yesterday I tried to load the page a couple of times and played videos eventually. Neither of the logs did really show any activity in those moments.

Here's an excerpt from today's executive report:

Network Protection:    
    Packets blocked by Firewall:    33 810 550
    Attacks blocked by IPS:    0

So I understand it's safe to say IPS doesn't really filter anything for me. So I guess that can't be the culprit.

The only other obscure problem I've had in the past was videoconferencing. I had severe packet losses to and from a conferencing server on the internet. Turned out IPS was not actually denying anything, but still caused the problem due to the added transmission delay caused by scanning the packets. But I wouldn't think that should be the problem here when even the simple pages like login screen, etc. fail to load.

I don't see any sense in creating any web proxy exceptions as https isn't intercepted in my setup. Am I correct in the assumption that goes for application control as well? Or does it still try to modify traffic even it's encrypted and it can't decrypt it?