This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

load balancing

We are adding 2 WAN connections next week I have reviewed as much documentation as I can but I cannot determine the best and correct configuration to achieve this. both new WAN lines are working 1st mainline microwave and the 2nd fiber we want to creat load balancer whats requirements for installation we have HA Sophos new in our invoirment

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello,

when you "add" 2 WAN lines, you will have three uplinks, then? Is this correct?

What do you want to achieve with "load balancing"? Please describe your use case.

Mit freundlichem Gruß, best regards from Germany,

Philipp Rusch

New Vision GmbH, Germany
    Sophos Silver-Partner

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• now we have 2 old lines 1 mainline connected with switch iff mainline down then we switch physically line 2  at same port wich connected mainline .from switch 2 cables going to sophos  BCS we have HA active-passive now we installed 2 new lines for batter speed we need both lines active so we need two switches? whats scenario

• Hello,

now I understand better. If using additional uplinks, you always need to cable both HA devices identically. So you have to use another switch where you plug in both cables from the Sophos firewall and the uplink running to your ISP-router. If you have three uplinks, use three switches or configure VLANs, one VLAN for each uplink-group.

But please answer my second question: What do you want to achieve with "load balancing"? Please describe your use case.

I would like to know, if you mean load balancing an internal (web)-server behind the firewall, then you should use the WAF-module.

If you your intention is to have more bandwidth for internet downloads and uploads, use multipath rules.

If you want to have a failover possibilty with two or more uplinks from differnet providers, to have a resilient connection, then you just configure uplink balancing.

And so on...

You see, we have to guess here, because you didn't give us a clue about your use case.

Please try to describe your intentions a little bit more in detail.

Mit freundlichem Gruß, best regards from Germany,

Philipp Rusch

New Vision GmbH, Germany
    Sophos Silver-Partner

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.