This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mac devices are much slower then windows on WIFI

Hi,

I have 2 AP55c access points in my house. I have noticed for quite some time the performance is really poor, and have looked into this problem so many times, but have never found a solution, hence im going to try to ask here. 

I have found out today that there is a big difference between my macbook pro / iphone and windows laptop. I always test with the same speedtest website. Where my Macbook/iphone does down: 50-80mbps, up 35mbps, does the windows laptop 250mbps down and 35mbps up. I have run the test multiple times using different SSIDs. The result is always somewhere the same. 

So where i thought the problem was with the Sophos UTM before (or configuration), it seems like it's more of a Mac <> Sophos thing. Can anyone advice in what i can do/try to get the wifi speed better on my macbook?

Thanks.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • What download speed does the Macbook get with Intrusion Prevention and Web Filtering disabled?  What speed do you get if you connect it directly to your Internet connection?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • After some more testing i found out that it could perhaps be the switch itself. I will get a new one tomorrow and do some more testing. I will update the post.

• Alright i have done some more testing past couple of days. I replaced cables and switches with new ones, it did not resolve the problem. I have pinned it down to:

1) Macbook pro is always slow using both SSIDs (max speed is around 80mbps down / 35mpbs up) The upload speed is fine when testing online speedtest website. When uploading/downloading to the NAS or VM share using a LAN test tool the speeds are fine.

2) Windows laptop is slow on SuperPrivate SSID and always fast on BreakingBad (so internet test as well as LAN test).

3) Iphone/ipad test are 50/50, sometimes fast and sometimes slow. 

I have Intrusion Prevention disabled and i don't use QoS. Allthe mentioned results are the same on both APs. 

• I realize that you have Intrusion Prevention disabled, but did you check that log?  There are other things logged there.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I looked at the log (and others) i could not find anything in there. As a test i installed XG and let the AP's connect to that. Now speed seems good from the macbook. So i guess it should be something in the UTM. Next week a collegue of mine will come by with his macbook, i will test using his also, see what happens then.

• Decided to use the Sophos XG in combination with UTM. Now all seems good, weird i didn't get it working with the UTM.