This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Activating IPv6 without crashing IPv4

OK, I know it's possible to activate IPv6 BEFORE configuring Interfaces, but my experience yesterday was that activating it on my lab UTM crashed IPv4 - both the cable modem and UTM had to be rebooted to get IPv4 going again on the External interface.  Since my wife's the SOX coordinator, change-control coordinator and DR coordinator for a large organization, she wasn't happy that I took us down for 15 minutes!

After I activated IPv6, I went to the External interface definition and saw that it did not include options for both IPv6 and IPv4 - only IPv6.  Is this a known bug in 9.703-3?

Cheers - Bob

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Bob,

Thank you for reaching out!

I did these tests:

1.- Only had IPv4 configured, went to IPv6 and enable it, checked and IPv4 was there and IPv6 address was ::

2.- Set IPv6 address manually save and then disable IPv6 and re-enable IPv6, both IPv4 and IPv6 were there

3.- Set IPv4 and IPv6 for Dynamic, disabled IPv6 re-enable IPv6, all good

4.- Set IPv4 for Dynamic, set IPv6 manually, disabled IPv6 re-enable, no change.

In all cases a lost a Ping when disabling and enabling IPv6.

Regards,

Emmanuel (EmmoSophos)
    Technical Team Lead, Global Community Support
    Sophos Support VideosProduct Documentation  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'Verify Answer' link.
  • Hello Bob,

Thank you for reaching out!

I did these tests:

1.- Only had IPv4 configured, went to IPv6 and enable it, checked and IPv4 was there and IPv6 address was ::

2.- Set IPv6 address manually save and then disable IPv6 and re-enable IPv6, both IPv4 and IPv6 were there

3.- Set IPv4 and IPv6 for Dynamic, disabled IPv6 re-enable IPv6, all good

4.- Set IPv4 for Dynamic, set IPv6 manually, disabled IPv6 re-enable, no change.

In all cases a lost a Ping when disabling and enabling IPv6.

Regards,

Emmanuel (EmmoSophos)
    Technical Team Lead, Global Community Support
    Sophos Support VideosProduct Documentation  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'Verify Answer' link.
Children
  • I just did another test.  After activating IPv6, I saw the following with no IPv4:

I immediately de-activated IPv6 and my IPv4 connection was still active.  Now, I'm suspecting my cable modem (CISCO DPC3010 Rev 1.0) or the ISP.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA