This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DNS Forwarders

I am currently having slow internet connectivity going through the Astaro 320 device,  I have tested it not passing through the device and it is much faster set with a specific DNS server used in DNS settings on the pc.

Can I put my internal DNS servers and external dns servers in the dns forwarders location?

I currently have just my internal DNS servers in there which are forwarders also,  it seems it would be faster for external resolution to specify an external DNS server there also.

Is there any issues with this?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • ok then here's how it is best to set it up

set astaro dns forwarders to isp dns...then use dns routing tab to reroute ad requests BACK to the AD server.  Have the AD server use the faster dns as it's primary and secondary dns and have it use the astaro as the third dns.  This way AD will route internal dns correctly and bypass the astaro(and slower isp dns).  Only if faster dns fails will it fall back to the asg...[:)]

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• I think the issue is that my internal DC is slower than the astaro at routing dns.

I would like my DC to still route internal, but I don't want it routing external dns request.  I think the ASG 320 would handle that better.

So if I read your solution correctly,  I would set the dns forwarder on the AD server to point to the Astaro,  then I would let the Astaro route external dns traffic, based on dns servers I specify in the forwarders tab. 

I would accomplish this by routing in the Astaro?
  • I think the issue is that my internal DC is slower than the astaro at routing dns.

I would like my DC to still route internal, but I don't want it routing external dns request.  I think the ASG 320 would handle that better.

So if I read your solution correctly,  I would set the dns forwarder on the AD server to point to the Astaro,  then I would let the Astaro route external dns traffic, based on dns servers I specify in the forwarders tab. 

I would accomplish this by routing in the Astaro?
Children
No Data