This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ipv6 mask on WAN side - Can it be less than 64

Hello,

I try to setup IPv6 on UTM9 latest firmware. My successfully installations have always a /64 on WAN side and a /64 on internal one. Now at a customer place, they receive a /124 on WAN side and /64 on internal. Problem is that I can't get traffic from WAN interface to his ipv6 GW. From outside the net I can ping the WAN ipv6 not the internal one.

Does anyone already face this problem and if yes could solve it?

Daniel

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Daniel,

Normally you don't use  subnetting with IPv6, the provider must send a IPv6 Prefix with a lower network than /64, for example /56 or /48. Then you can use your own network /64 on the internal site with the provider Prefix.

br

• There are several ways to provide IPv6 connectivity. Normally your upstream should give you a documentation.

One common way is to have a transfer net with only 2 nodes, for example 2001:db8:1234::1 for the provider gateway and 2001:db8:1234::2 for you.

In this case a /126 is sufficient, a /124 may do.

However there has to be another assignment called "routed network" (often a /56 or /48) which will be reachable by the customer IP,.

One example of this scenario is Hurricane.

• Well, "may do" doesn't apply in my case. I ask for a second /64 on WAN side and will see. Have to say would be great if UTM would accept higher than /64

Reply Children
No Data