This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Setting up second wan connection.

I live in a remote area in broadband terms.  The service we now enjoy is beamed from the next hill and acceptable but we have no fall back connection.  I do however have an ADSL copper connection which is available from a different ISP. This has a much lower bandwidth but would be available as a fallback option should the wireless link fail.  Is there a wiki which would get me started with setting this up please.  I am using an SG135 UTM. 

I searched for a guide but didn't find what I needed.

Grateful for any pointers please.

Budge

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • That PC needs to have the Proxy CA from the UTM installed on it, Alaatair.  You can download that in WebAdmin or via the User Portal.  With a second WAN connection, you want Uplink Balancing enabled.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

As usual I am finding this hard going.  I was able to select the button on WebAdmin and download the certificate to my laptop.  I was then able to go into Firefox an upload the certificate using settings security pages in Firefox. To be sure I rebooted but sadly when I then enabled the default GW on the AAISP port and the load balancing clicked in, I still could not access a website.   This really shouldn't be this hard.  Where next?

• "Uplink" balancing is different from "load" balancing.  The latter applies to inbound traffic that's load-balanced between two or more servers.

Show a few lines from the Web Filtering log where the traffic is blocked.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Bob I mistyped.  I was referring to Uplink balancing.

I shall gladly share a few lines from the Web Filtering log when I know where to find them and copy them.  All new stuff to me I regret. 

• Hi Bob,

Had to leave the second connection mid thread while trying to keep business running.  Should have finished it as now I need the fallback connection to work and it doesn't.  Please could I resume on this thread or should I start over. 

Regards,

Budge

• Hi Bob,

Just wanted to apologise to you for making such a meal of this and to thank you for your help.

My problems were due to lack of know how on my part and a mis-configured router thanks to ISP.

With some additional help from Dirk and some time on phone with ISP I now have the basics sorted out and have two WAN connections.  I therefore am closing this thread and thanks again,

Budge