This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

how to identify an email in greylist and then released?

Hi all.

I'm trying to troubleshoot some emails that don't reach their destination.
I understood by checking the logs how to identify a rejected email in greylist but it is not clear to me how to understand if the sender server tries again after x minutes and this time it is accepted.
That is, how do I know if it is the sending mail server who retried the sending of the message and not the sending user who sent another message since the first one did not arrive?

Thanks.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello,

I think the message-ID of the first queued mail should be different  from a second mail initiated by the sender himself.

When the mailserver retries, it will the same message again with the same ID again. But I don't know if this is a mandatory field to transmit to the MTA.

Anybody else?.

Mit freundlichem Gruß, best regards from Germany,

Philipp Rusch

New Vision GmbH, Germany
    Sophos Silver-Partner

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hello and thank you for the reply.

find out more with the info you give me.

Analyzing logs is a complex science ... :-)

• When an email is greylisted, you will find temporarily rejected after DATA in the log line.  The sender is also identified.  When a previously-greylisted email is accepted, the log line will contain the word Success - does that help you?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Greylisting will not accept a Email and release it. It will deny it. Thats the reason, greylisting lost its relevance by now, as nobody but the Sender can tell you, when he will retry it.

Could be 1 Minute later or could be 6-12 hours or never. 

There is a movement towards other solutions like Central Email with Delay queue:  https://support.sophos.com/support/s/article/KB-000037987?language=en_US

Because actually there is no benefit in knowing, if your sender can resend, as those systems are automated. The MTA will retry "sometime". 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Greylisting will not accept a Email and release it. It will deny it. Thats the reason, greylisting lost its relevance by now, as nobody but the Sender can tell you, when he will retry it.

Could be 1 Minute later or could be 6-12 hours or never. 

There is a movement towards other solutions like Central Email with Delay queue:  https://support.sophos.com/support/s/article/KB-000037987?language=en_US

Because actually there is no benefit in knowing, if your sender can resend, as those systems are automated. The MTA will retry "sometime". 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Children
No Data