This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Installing Software ASG, Stuck

I just bought a Shuttle DS81 and thought this would be a great box for an ASG but I am running into issues with the installation.  

The install gets to "detecting other devices" and then gets stuck.

In reading the other posts and looking at the log it seems to me that the in built SD card reader may be causing the issue.

I tried logging into the BIOS and unfortunately there is no way to disable the card reader.  Are there any commands that will allow me to force an install to sda instead of getting stuck on sdb?

Or any other ideas?  I have a note into shuttle to see if there is a way to disable it but I haven't heard back as yet.

Many thanks in advance!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • turn off everything in the bios you do not need like com ports and sound and stuff like that.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• and disconnect any card readers.

Barry
  • COM ports and audio are disabled in BIOS, card reader is internal on motherboard.
  • I do not use shuttle boxes for Linux machine for just this reason..i do not know what to tell you here..anyone else have any ideas?

Is the bios in uefi mode?  if so turn that off and get back into regular mode..that is about all i can think of.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Hello,

having the same problem with a new Shuttle DS57u, hanging at 66% (switching off anything possible in the BIOS, like Audio, Serial, USB3. Card reader can not be switched off - prime suspect). Would like to understand, how the hardware detection mechanism works and if this can be customized in any way or even skipped by handing over the actually known hardware to the installation process manually via any config file.

Can provide logs of my system, if this helps. Platform is really interesting for small business firewall usage, small, quiet, energy efficient, two intel network cards - would be nice to get this working with UTM9 (btw: pfsense works flawlessly with it).

Tested with UTM 9.308-16 and one 9.2xx-Version via USB Boot (created with Rufus: Install Sophos UTM from USB Stick | Network Guy).

Thanks in advance for any information!

Roland
  • Hi, Roland, and welcome to the User BB!

Try a Google on site:astaro.org dvi hdmi and limit the timeframe to the last year.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • You'll be looking for this thread...

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Thanks for your quick replies. I have already read this a few days ago when trying to get the DS57u to work, but suspected the card reader anyway due to this thread. How can I further investigate this, is there a techdoc describing what the hw det routines do or what code they are based on and what exactly causes the process to lockup? I have taken a look at the install logs already - but nothing really striking me there. Is there a known way around the VGA issue (e.g. by making the routines think, that VGA is there or patching or by skipping them)?

Besides, are there any official plans to get around the 'VGA-missing' problem? I know, that all official hardware appliances do have VGA and this is of no relevance to the official development department...

You'll be looking for this thread...
  • Hello,

I have found a workaround to the 66%-installer-hang issue with a bare metal installation of UTM9 and the Shuttle DS57U, so if anybody else is fiddling around with it - no, no bare metal solution, but it works with hyper-v 2012r2 (not esxi atm) - after a little tweaking with the Windows nic-drivers!

To sum it up:

- with esxi6, a driver vib injection into the ISO helped making Samsung 840 SSD available as a data store. However, despite beeing in the compatibility list, the Intel network card i211 never showed up in the management interface. It showed via esxi shell with lspci -v as vmnic1. The Intel i218 worked flawlessly from the beginning as vmnic0. Dropped esxi, because even after reading more about people trying to get the Shuttle Intel i211 work with esxi6 and after some tweaking with the settings and BIOS, it never showed up in the GUI. Solution may be just around the corner, but not posted yet @vmware.

- with windows server 2012r2 with hyper-v role (not my favorite virtualization platform...) I had more success, but only after tweaking around with the i211 driver-infs. No network card showed up after initial Windows install, even the i218 was not recognized.

1) the i218 surprisingly never worked with an inf-install via pnputil -i -a ...so I tried the setupBD-Installer, provided by Intel in the driver's APPS\setup folder. This finally worked after reboot. Easy.

2) The i211 was more tweaking around, because it seems, that, while the needed files are available in the NDIS63-folder, the card's drivers refs are only available in the inf-sections of Windows 8.1, not the server 2012r2 section. Somebody stated somewhere, that this was a marketing decision ('no server nic'), so I investigated further and found some hints in a BLOG, stating to move the relevant sections from the Windows 8.1 section to the Windows Server section of the inf. This finally worked after some copy-and-paste fiddling inside the inf.

I have provided the patched e1r63x64.inf file as an attachment and a README for replacing the original file inside the INTEL 20.0 nic drivers for anyone who wants to run UTM9 inside hyper-v 2012r2 server with this hardware.

Finally, UTM9 is up and running.

[:)]

Mosmurf
    E1r63x64inf_patched_for_w2012r2.zip
  • I was able to use DisplayPort (to VGA Adapter) to install on bare metal DS57U. Running 10 days, no issues to date.