This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

PPPoE over vlan?

We have a switch setup with a VDSL modem connected to a port with a vlan of 50. The next port along is a trunk port which allows vlan50 (WAN) & vlan100 (LAN) which terminates on an esxi server running pfSense.
So basically our WAN & LAN are on the same cable segregated by the vlans specified.
I thought I would give sophos a go but can't see anyway to get the WAN connection which requires a PPPoE login to use a vlan.
It looks to us that you require 2 physical interfaces rather than 1 physical with 2 virtual interfaces as we can't see a way to get PPPoE working over a vlan.

Can anybody confirm this?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Yes you are right. So you need an physical switch in front of ESXi...
    Then you could split up the tagged line to one Port tagged with lan vlans and one port for an untagged nic of esxi server. This untagged nic could utm use as ppoe wan Interface
  • Problem is......
    there are 4 WAN's and if I was to untag them, I would need 4 NIC's in the ESXI server rather than 1 NIC.
    So there's a bit of a limitation of UTM 9 being forced into using a 1g physical NIC per WAN connection if it's PPPoE.
  • Problem is......
    there are 4 WAN's and if I was to untag them, I would need 4 NIC's in the ESXI server rather than 1 NIC.
    So there's a bit of a limitation of UTM 9 being forced into using a 1g physical NIC per WAN connection if it's PPPoE.
Children