This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

PPPoE over vlan?

We have a switch setup with a VDSL modem connected to a port with a vlan of 50. The next port along is a trunk port which allows vlan50 (WAN) & vlan100 (LAN) which terminates on an esxi server running pfSense.
So basically our WAN & LAN are on the same cable segregated by the vlans specified.
I thought I would give sophos a go but can't see anyway to get the WAN connection which requires a PPPoE login to use a vlan.
It looks to us that you require 2 physical interfaces rather than 1 physical with 2 virtual interfaces as we can't see a way to get PPPoE working over a vlan.

Can anybody confirm this?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Would you use an utm appliance or Software version?

If appliance i think you will need an aditional vlan tagged switch in front of utm...
  • Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Let me try and be a little clearer with this as it may sound confusing. I'll start from the WAN and end up on one of the LANS.

VDSL MODEM plugs directly into MANAGED SWITCH at port 1 where data gets tagged with vlan50.

From there, port 2 (member of vlan 50, vlan100, vlan101 etc and only accepts tagged packets) connects to a nic on the back of an ESXI server which accepts ALL tagged vlans.
    A VM on the ESXI (pfSense) has multiple virtual interfaces (WAN @ vlan50, LAN1 @vlan100, LAN2 @vlan101 etc)
    From there, pfSense receives the WAN (vlan50 traffic) and forwards it on to the appropriate vlan eg LAN1 @ vlan100 (much like a normal router)
    Vlan100 uses the same physical NIC on the ESXI server (connected to PORT 2 on the managed switch) to send send traffic (back up the single cable) into PORT 2 (member of vlan50, vlan100, vlan101) to distribute to the other members of the vlan eg (PORT 25 member of vlan100 or PORT 26 member of vlan101)

Put simply, what I need is a vlan interface (vlan50) on the UTM which allows me use PPPoE to authenticate.
    I can see no way to do this on the UTM (which is running on esxi) as I can only select vlan ethernet or PPPoE but not use a combination of both eg PPPoE over vlan50.

It might seem a bit strange why it is set that way but when you have 4 WAN connections coming in and don't want to add additional four nics to the esxi server, it makes sense to use the ports on the managed switch and pipe them down a gigabit interface using vlans.
  • Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Let me try and be a little clearer with this as it may sound confusing. I'll start from the WAN and end up on one of the LANS.

VDSL MODEM plugs directly into MANAGED SWITCH at port 1 where data gets tagged with vlan50.

From there, port 2 (member of vlan 50, vlan100, vlan101 etc and only accepts tagged packets) connects to a nic on the back of an ESXI server which accepts ALL tagged vlans.
    A VM on the ESXI (pfSense) has multiple virtual interfaces (WAN @ vlan50, LAN1 @vlan100, LAN2 @vlan101 etc)
    From there, pfSense receives the WAN (vlan50 traffic) and forwards it on to the appropriate vlan eg LAN1 @ vlan100 (much like a normal router)
    Vlan100 uses the same physical NIC on the ESXI server (connected to PORT 2 on the managed switch) to send send traffic (back up the single cable) into PORT 2 (member of vlan50, vlan100, vlan101) to distribute to the other members of the vlan eg (PORT 25 member of vlan100 or PORT 26 member of vlan101)

Put simply, what I need is a vlan interface (vlan50) on the UTM which allows me use PPPoE to authenticate.
    I can see no way to do this on the UTM (which is running on esxi) as I can only select vlan ethernet or PPPoE but not use a combination of both eg PPPoE over vlan50.

It might seem a bit strange why it is set that way but when you have 4 WAN connections coming in and don't want to add additional four nics to the esxi server, it makes sense to use the ports on the managed switch and pipe them down a gigabit interface using vlans.
Children
No Data