This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Reliable PowerEdge SC 440 comes to an end...

Hello everyone

I have been running UTM on the Dell PowerEdge SC 440 for over 15yrs and it finally stop working.  Xfinity bumped my Internet speed to 800Mbps, so I thought it might be time for a new modem (Surfboard Board S33).  Shutting down the PowerEdge and replaced the modem and it never came back on....:((

Anyway, I've posted on here asking for hardware recommendation before about few months ago.  I was about to order from Aliexpress

TOPTON

Mini Router Intel Celeron J4125 Fanless Mini PC 4 Intel i211 LAN w/16GB DDR4 and 256GB SSD for around $300

As I am in need of a new HR, but it will take approx 30 days to ship from China.  Anyone recently order something similar from Amazon that is comparable, since I don't want to wait 30 days.  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Patrick, have you looked at the most-recent pages of the *Unofficial* Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I have Bob.  Just checking to see if anyone has ordered anything newer or latest that works with UTM.  It seems a lot of Qotom on Amazon comes with Intel i225-V instead of Intel i211.  Do you know if the LAN card Intel i225 is supported?  Do you recommend quad or dual for multiple active devices?

Thanks

• It isn't a UEFI bios, is it?  Because Sophos doesn't install on that mode, it still has to be legacy mode.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• your response just gave me a lightbulb.......Smiley

Let me check.  I think this could be it.

• Oof, well I hope that's not the case if you want to use Sophos.  Hopefully, it's just a BIOS update you need.  Otherwise, looks like it's a PFSense box. :D

• Did this work for you? I have the exact same HW and the install still cannot detect the NIC with the Bios set to legacy.  I really do not want to go to pfsense or return this box for 1GBE model.  

• no it did not.  I've worked with their tech engineer and he attempted to install UTM and couldn't get it to work.  I ended up returning it.

• Most likely a Linux driver problem.  It's in the 5.8 kernel for Linux, but reading on this card, it's not just UTM that doesn't see the NIC - it's even Linux Mint 20 that doesn't see it.  I'd frankly be surprised if Sophos ever updates UTM with a Linux kernel.

•   

Ironically I recently built another system with a i225v nic.  This was a z690 based motherboard (part of this deal, too good to pass up - https://www.microcenter.com/product/5005927/intel-core-i7-12700k,-asus-z690-plus-tuf-gaming-wifi-ddr4,-cpu-motherboard-combo ).

Surprisingly the nic works just fine. The platform I experienced issues with (nic was rev 3) was amd based - both x570, and b550 with a 5700G cpu, under windows 10 (early q4 2021). Reports on reddit and elsewhere indicate the z590/690 (intel chipsets) is also prone to instability. Maybe this was remedied in win11. I haven't tried win10 on the above board. Maybe I will just to gain another data point. Also a good opportunity to see if UTM works with the i225v.

No go with the z690 board w/ i225-v. In fact I couldn't even get the installer iso to boot.  Had to install proxmox, then pass through the nic. It shows up in lspci, but that's it. I think kernel 4.x or 5.x is needed to work with this board, at least in bare metal form. UTM still uising 3.x.

• If you are trying to get the Intel i225 nic to work with the UTM, it won't because the UTM is using Linux kernel 3.12.

The Intel i225 needs Linux kernel 4.14. So no, the Intel i225 drivers are not included in kernel 3.12. Not even the XG has a linux kernel that supports the i225. I'm salivating at the mouth over the thought of upgrading to a fanless PC too, but unless they update the kernel to a newer version, it probably won't happen. 

• Virtualizing it would be my solution.

UTM is running partially that way here.  Wan interface is a i211 in passthrough, but lan side is virtuio. Getting full line speeds (940/940 mbps) for wired and some wireless clients on internet speedtests.

• The i211 doesn't have a problem with UTM and works well - that's what I'm using.  The i217 (and now looks like i225) are just an absolute sh** show, lol.

Hoping someone will update the kernel.  I about had a heart attack reading the 9.713 update notes yesterday, as they updated Snort to 64-bit.  

• The i211 doesn't have a problem with UTM and works well - that's what I'm using.  The i217 (and now looks like i225) are just an absolute sh** show, lol.

Hoping someone will update the kernel.  I about had a heart attack reading the 9.713 update notes yesterday, as they updated Snort to 64-bit.  

Children
No Data