This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos UTM Installation - ALT+F2 Console switches to black screen

Good evening!

Im struggling with a UTM 9.7 Installation for a UTM Home Setup.

I have an old SwyxExpress X20 Desktop PC with two Intel NICs. For Installation i use an USB Stick.

So, i boot from the USB Stick, works fine. Installation went into the error, that install.tar was not found.

I saw several posts about the workaround to mount the USB device before continuing the Installation. Here comes the problem.

When i press ALT+F2 to switch to the console, i see the console, start typing the commands and suddenly i get a black screen.

Sometimes it comes immediatly, sometimes after 4-5 seconds. 

I saw a post about HDMI Issues, so i tried it with my monitor connecting via VGA, but i get the same problems.

Does anyone expierenced this or has further information, where i can look?

Thanks! 

Regards, Chris!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Is there an option to have UEFI on?  Turn that off in your BIOS if it is, as UTM installation won't work with that on. You might also have to alter your video settings in the BIOS.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Hey, thanks for your reply!

I tried it by exploring the BIOS setup, but i didnt find an option to switch between UEFI and Legacy. It is fixed UEFI.

Neither i found an option for changing the video settings.

The Mainboard is: Supermicro X10SBA-L.

So, i ran through the BIOS options, didnt find anything helpful, but tried it afterwards...and: It worked !?

I could see the console for more than 30 seconds, which was enough to mount the USB flash drive. 

The installation was successful and the UTM is configured.

• I tried it by exploring the BIOS setup, but i didnt find an option to switch between UEFI and Legacy. It is fixed UEFI.

Frankly, that surprises me that you got it to work.  Maybe they finally addressed this issue.  Glad it's working for you.

• I tried it by exploring the BIOS setup, but i didnt find an option to switch between UEFI and Legacy. It is fixed UEFI.

Frankly, that surprises me that you got it to work.  Maybe they finally addressed this issue.  Glad it's working for you.

Children
No Data