This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Replacing faulty SG210 in HA setup

Hi,

I have a set of SG210 running UTM 9.510-5 firmware with active subscription.

Recently 1 of the SG210 had problem and we RMA the unit, a replacement unit was sent to us, but with a higher firmware version (9.705). I checked the Sophos UTM download page and seems UTM 9.510-5 is no longer available for download any more.

May I know what is the correct procedure to join the replacement unit back to the HA cluster?

1. Backup config file from existing working SG210
2. Go to MyUTM, license for the old faulty unit and change the serial number to the new unit
3. Go to High Availability setting in the existing working SG210 and change the operation mode to Off
4. Upgrade existing SG210 to same firmware as the replacement unit (downtime expected)
5. Connect the HA ports for both units
6. Configure HA setting at existing unit
7. Connect the WAN and LAN port of replacement unit

Is the above steps correct?

Thanks.

Patrick.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Thanks guys, I may be going for Dirk's way as it may have a shorter down time?

Questions:

1. can the config file of the existing version (9.510-5) be loaded to the newer version (9.705 or newer)?
    2. will the subscription be active once I power up the replacement unit and load the config file? or I just need to download the license file from MyUTM website and upload to the replacement unit?

My revised steps should be?

1. Power up the replacement unit, update to latest firmware version.
    2. Load the config file to replacement unit, from existing unit
    3. Load the license file to replacement unit.
    4. Switch LAN and WAN cable to the replacement unit.
    5. Disable HA at the existing unit
    6. Update existing unit firmware to be the same as the replacement unit.
    7. Reset existing unit to factory default (required?)
    8. Connect HA cables between the 2 units and configure HA from replacement unit

I've checked and both units are on the same hardware revision, so I guess should be fine.

Thanks.

Patrick.

• Thanks guys, I may be going for Dirk's way as it may have a shorter down time?

Questions:

1. can the config file of the existing version (9.510-5) be loaded to the newer version (9.705 or newer)?
    2. will the subscription be active once I power up the replacement unit and load the config file? or I just need to download the license file from MyUTM website and upload to the replacement unit?

My revised steps should be?

1. Power up the replacement unit, update to latest firmware version.
    2. Load the config file to replacement unit, from existing unit
    3. Load the license file to replacement unit.
    4. Switch LAN and WAN cable to the replacement unit.
    5. Disable HA at the existing unit
    6. Update existing unit firmware to be the same as the replacement unit.
    7. Reset existing unit to factory default (required?)
    8. Connect HA cables between the 2 units and configure HA from replacement unit

I've checked and both units are on the same hardware revision, so I guess should be fine.

Thanks.

Patrick.

Children
  • Hi Patrick.

You have to remember that you will lose a lot of information if you only restore the backup to a new factory reset device:

• Logs
    • Reporting data
    • Mail in spool, if not empty
    • Quarantine mail

This is why I try to avoid this kind of replacement and I gave you the advice to get this version from support. That is why I would not go with Dirk's suggested way. My preferred way is to get the cluster up and running again. In your case there are three possibilities to bring up the cluster again without loosing the data:

1. Reimage the replacment device to the same version like the running one. Then reenable HA
    2. Install updates on the running one up to the version installed on the RMA device (9.705). Renable HA.
    3. Update the running device to latest firmware. Bring the RMA device into production behind running one and upgrade to the latest firmware. Factory reset RMA device. Bring up HA again.

Regarding those options only one of them will give you a chance to bring the cluster into production without downtime. This is option one.

Option 2 is the way with the least time and effort for you. But there is downtime while installing updates on the running device and a small risk to get in trouble during updates.

Option 3 is the one is the one I never use, because it is option 2 with additional work. I would upgrade the cluster to latest version after being back in production again.

If you agree with losing the data above, the steps would be:

1. RMA device: power up and update to latest firmware version
    2. RMA device: restore backup and see if the restore is fine
    3. If RMA device is ok, switch over cables to running. You are back in production.
    4. Prepare HA

If something got wrong you may put cables back.

Then on the old device:

1. Factory reset
    2. Temporary setup
    3. Update firmware to latest
    4. Factory reset
    5. Shutdown
    6. Do cabling for HA
    7. Power up
    8. HA will automatically get into production

Regards,

Thom

Sophos Gold Partner
    4TISO GmbH, Germany
    If a post solves your question click the 'Verify Answer' link.
  • 1. Yes, you can load the config file to devices running newer versions

2. License is included within config-backup.

3. your steps are ok --- Toms steps for Option 3 are great

4. YES ... using Toms way (Option 1 or 2) you keep your data.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Great posts, Thom and Dirk - very thoughtful.

Patrick, you can also keep your logs, reporting and quarantine by backing them up and restoring with WinSCP:

• Logs & Reporting in /var/log
    • Quarantine in /var/chroot-smtp/spool/quarantine

Indeed, if the SMTP Proxy is in use, you will want to temporarily remove the domains on the 'Routing' tab to prevent the proxy from receiving further mails.  Then use the Mail Manager to ensure that mails in the spool are delivered.  You will want to do this just before you power down the existing unit and connect and power up the new unit

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA