This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Installation using serial console

Hello to all!

I know there have been a lot of discussions regarding installation using a serial console, but while I read to follow a blind installation by duplicating the installation to a VM, I also read in some more recent topics that the installer now has by default the ability to do it. (I know for a fact that XG installs fine via serial console because I have done it with version 18 and this machine, and on those posts where they say that it can install now via serial, some people confuse the UTM version with the early XG versions, so not really sure of the actual facts)

In my case I have a - non - Sophos appliance. I know that sophos uses 38400 for the serial console, so changed the serial console speed to 38400 from the BIOS of the machine. I have connected using a serial cable. I get to the screen where I need to hit enter to boot. After hitting enter I see another screen with start and another two options. When hit Enter to start, then I see nothing more..

I tried duplicating the installation to a VM, but to no avail. Afterwards I read that I will need a usb keyboard connected to the appliance in order for this to work (I was using the laptop's keyboard while connected to serial via putty), so I have yet this to try.

I also read that with APUs  people needed to use 3 NICs in order to accurately duplicate the key presses on the VM, since the APU has 3 NICs. My appliance has 5 so should I add 5 if it try the blind installation?

Any insight welcome!

Thanks a lot!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Ok, the installation went really smooth, no problems whatsoever. The only thing that puzzles me with this appliance installation is that while there are 5 NICs, for some reason the 3rd one is recognized as eth0. It took me a while to figure out why plugging the cable to the far left or the far right did not work. I then tried on the second from the left, nothing. Then on the second from the right, again nothing. It finally worked in the middle NIC.

I had started believing that something was not right, because it only made sense that the identification of the NICs was according to the order of the MAC addresses.

But as it turns out I have eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3, eth4 which in a weird way correspond to MAC address xxx82, xxx83, xxx84, xxx80 and xxx81.

Any ideas why this is happening? Not really important just out of curiosity

Sophos XG Home Licence.

Machine: Barracuda F12 appliance (Intel Celeron N3350 CPU, 6GB Ram, 80GB sata SSD)

• Geiasou ChriZ,

Look at the 'Hardware' tab in 'Interfaces' and you'll see that the name of the NIC determines the order.  After that, the physical position comes into play.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Geiasou ChriZ,

Look at the 'Hardware' tab in 'Interfaces' and you'll see that the name of the NIC determines the order.  After that, the physical position comes into play.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
  • Geia sou Bob!

Yes I have already checked the hardware tab and this is why the order puzzles me.

See below the image I attached. Ports have no actual label on the device, the orientation row illustrates the actual orientation of the ports.

As you can see Port1 corresponds to the first mac address, however UTM named it eth3. It labeled eth0 the 3rd port which is actually also the 3rd mac address. I don't really care, I eventually figured out I couldn't connect to the first port due to this kind of situation because I encountered the same behaviour on an XG test installation I did on the same hardware. I am just curious why it happens this way. As far as I knew the linux kernel is supposed to determine the order based on the actual mac address order (or is it?)

Sophos XG Home Licence.

Machine: Barracuda F12 appliance (Intel Celeron N3350 CPU, 6GB Ram, 80GB sata SSD)