This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Upgrade SG135 with home license to XG

Hi,
I've been trying to get the right info but seem to be getting conflicting info.

I have a SG135 setup with a home license. Soon we'll be converting our office firewalls to the XG platform and I'd like to get a head start and play with XG at home.

Is there a way I can convert my home SG135 to XG? if so, what's the correct process?

thanks a lot!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hoi,

There's not really an "upgrade" process.  You only can re-image the 135 with the XG ISO and start from scratch.  I would use a different computer to learn rather than being without protection.  I used an old PC.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hoi,

There's not really an "upgrade" process.  You only can re-image the 135 with the XG ISO and start from scratch.  I would use a different computer to learn rather than being without protection.  I used an old PC.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
  • Hoi Bob! are you Dutch?

Thanks for your reply! I'm not worried about keeping my config. It's a 'simple' home setup, I'm happy to redo the config.

I have reimaged the SG with XG but then I somehow the serial of the device is used and linked to my sophos account (not sure how I did that). Then when I try to install the key for my home license XG tells me I can't use the home key I received.
    Then someone told me that before you can install a XG home license on a device the device would first need to be converted to XG with an existing paid license. I'm not sure if this is true though.. it sounds like a hurdle that would not have to be there...

• Not Dutch, but you have a PM. Slight smile

The only way to get the home license to work on an XG is to use the software ISO.  According to this old thread, you might need to remove the partitions first.  There are quite a few threads about this in the XG-Firewall Community.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hmmm.. that might make sense. I tried to use the software version but failed because the installer prompted me saying "hey, this is an appliance... use the right installer"

• Thank you! this pointed helped a lot, I now have XG running on the SG135. Now comes the task of rebuilding my network in a new environment ;)