This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Question about XG and SG firewalls and appliances

Hello,

We currently have a Sophos UTM SG 210 (REV 1.0). We also have a Fullguard license with Premium Support which expires in January 2021. I'm looking to replace for SG 210 unit and renew the license.

We are glad of this solution. However, before proceeding too fast with a SG renewal, I just remind that there is also XG firewall which is available right now. The idea would be to upgrade to XG firewall in the next months (not right now because it’s not the appropriate time with COVID19).

I just looked on XG and SG appliances and firewall and I have some questions:

• First of all, if I look to XG 210 and SG 210 appliances, they look pretty similar. Is it the same hardware? What is the difference between the two appliances (except the software of course – only for hardware details)?

• As said before, at first, we would like to renew our old SG210 (REV 1.0) to a new one because we're not ready to move to XG firewall right now. That's why I would like to buy a new SG 210 (REV 3.0) and then migrate to XG firewall in few months (after doing some tests). About this:
    • Is it free to move from SG to XG firewall? Is there any fee? I’m pretty that it’s completely free but I prefer to have a confirmation.
    • Would it be less performant if we're running XG firewall on a SG 210 appliance instead of a XG 210? That’s why I ask my first question about this.
  • Are XG firewall licenses at the same price than the ones for SG firewall? Or is it cheaper or more expensive?

Kind Regards,

DeltaSM

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • First of all SG and XG Hardware are more or less the same. It has a different panel in front but the hardware is the same.

If you purchase a new appliance, you will get REV3 for XG/SG210. So a renewal of the hardware. You can ask your partner to get you the details. There are some changes in the connectivity etc. (More Ports etc.).

If you purchase a SG Hardware with a SG License, you can always move to SFOS (XG OS) and migrate your license for free. This is builtin and does not need any interaction with Sophos. See: https://support.sophos.com/support/s/article/KB-000036244?language=en_US It will show the entire process. 

As the hardware is the same, there should not be any performance decrease, if you choose to renewal now. 

About the price of the XG price, i cannot comment that, you should talk to your partner to get the price in your county. 

Another approach would be to purchase your XG as a "Midterm Upgrade" so to speak. You tell Sophos, you want to upgrade your SG to a new XG Hardware, get the new XG Hardware and Sophos will migrate your License in the backend. If you talk to your Sophos Partner, there can be a time period for the migration between both platforms. 

Depending on how much you use and how "big" your configuration is, you can migrate pretty quickly site by site (move VPN to XG, move proxy to XG etc.). 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Hello ,

Every is pretty clear ! thank you for this very good answer !

I will have a talk with our Account Manager tomorrow.

Regards,

DeltaSM

Reply Children
No Data