This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hardware recommendations

Hi All, new member/first time post.  I’m building a new mini atx pc for use, i3 cpu, ASUS mb and 16 gb ram.  I know it’s overkill but not sure yet if the pc will be kept for use with UTM or retasked once I learn more.  Unfortunately I didn’t make note of the thread I saw and may try to find in my browser history, the thread mentioned sophos UTM can’t use that much ram and that it’s limited?  I’ve gone through a few of the hardware recommendation threads but couldn’t find any stating if there are limitations?

Anyone able to confirm?

Thanks much and apologies if a dumb question

Thanks

E

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi E and welcome to the UTM Community!

Depending on the number of people simultaneously accessing the Internet, a fast 2- or 4-core CPU would let you take advantage of download speeds over 300Mbps.

You might want to look at the last few pages of *Unofficial* Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks much, I was able to confirm the CSM module was defective on the ASUS motherboard.  I returned it and now trying a Gigabyte B460m, which unfortunately is not working either.  I tested my install media on another computer and they work fine (dvd and USB).  I then go back to my box with the Gigabyte motherboard (intel of course) and while it appears the install starts (with CSM disabled), I get a non blinking cursor so evidently I have still made bad decisions on new hardware.  Not my first computer build and not sure where to go.  About to throw in the towel and just buy the XG box and chalk it up to bad choices.  I wanted the build to be multi purpose so that if I decided to install windows or ESXi and run virtually I could and expand use of the divide to more than just as a firewall.  

I really appreciate all the responses and great advise!

Thanks

E

• Ah - XG!  You're in the UTM Forum, E.  You might want to check out the Hardware forum in the XG Community.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi and thanks...  in the right place I was and am trying to install UTM, if I can’t get it working will more than likely choose the XG hardware device.  

Reply Children
No Data