This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM no longer working after a power outage

We had a bad storm yesterday and power went up and down multiple times.  UTM (home license) was under UPS but did not manage to shutdown gracefully in time and the UPS died so the the UTM went down hard. 

Once the power is restored I started to bring up other devices but the UTM does not show any LINK LEDs ON on its NICs.  I use an intel quad PCI card with 4 x NICs.  UTM boots up fine and I can login as root.   Cannot get to its WebAdmin.  Its internal LAN interface is not pingable.  I don't want to believe that all 4 NICs are bad, or the Quad card has gone bad.

Replaced the Quad card with another  but no luck, same status with the new card.  No LINK LED when a network cable is plugged from the NIC to the switch.   Could it be the motherboard?  This is a Gigabyte B85N with i5-4670 3.4GHz processor.

Any CLI troubleshooting I can do on this?   Using the ethtool can only see eth1 which is embedded on MB.  Re-seated all components but no luck.   Moving a cable to the embedded port I do see LINK status ON.

Any suggestions? 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • The only times I've heard of a UTM behaving like that, it was Rev.1 versions of SG 125/135 that had bad Intel processors and the boxes had to be replaced.  I don't think your i5 was a par of that debacle.

Do you get any clues if you watch the boot process after connecting a monitor and keyboard?  Does ifconfig show anything unusual?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks Bob for the reply.   I did some more testing today.  Here is what I found. 

1. Removed the mSATA disk where I had UTM installed.

2. Installed ISO for UTM on a USB and booted from there.

3. Install detected only one NIC, and alerted that I need at least 2 NICs to continue installation.  This is good as it shows that my quad NIC card is not even visible.

4. Powered off.  Replaced the QUAD card with another QUAD (same identical model) BTW, NICs are all 1Gbps speed.

5. Booted again via USB and this time did not complain for the NIC but said you don't have a CDROM drive (which is ok)

This at least confirmed that the first QUAD card might be bad.

Powered off again.  Removed the USB and put back the mSATA with the OS installed.  Booted back and now doing ifconfig -a I do see the 4 NICs on the QUAD card. 

Still no LED activity when I plug the Ethernet cable on any of these ports.  I'm afraid something might have gone bad on the motherboard.  The only NIC that shows activity and link when I plug the cable is the embedded NIC on the motherboard.

Question:

Is there a way via CLI I can change the eth2 that was initially my internal LAN interface to eth1 so I can get the webadmin going so I connect from another PC?

Other options:

Knowing that I have had this hardware now for at least 6 years, maybe I can get something better and this is an excuse to get a better hardware for it?

Now that I understand better of what I need from this UTM maybe there a better hardware for it?  My priorities for the UTM are:

1. Have enough bandwidth for VPN users  (Maybe up to 10 users)

2. Have enough bandwidth for Videochat and livestream.  Recently I deployed a BigBlueButton and a Jitsi server that are on DMZ area with their own NIC.  Sometimes I had issues with video struggling between internal and extenal users (In which case the traffic would flow via UTM)

3. I did recently upgrade to 1Gbps comcast service and I do get around 950/40 speeds.  I have noticed though that once I turn on IPS my download drops to about 150Mbps.  Not that I need more, but I hate to lose all that badwidth because of the IPS.

So if there is a recommended hardware that would do a better job for these tasks I would definitely go for it possibly with NICs embedded and not add-on cards if possible.  Something like this hardware

Could I place my mSATA from my current system on the new hardware, and boot from there?   I just don't want to lose all those configs I have on current system.

Thanks.

• Hello,

did you try to disable the NIC interfaces and then activate it again?

-> ifdown %interface name%

-> ifup %interface name%

then you can look in the logfiles with the command: "dmesg" oder:  "tail -f /var/log/messages"

=> Do you see some warnings / errors in this logfiles after interacting with the network interfaces?

Best regards 

Bepo

• I don´t think there is any need for a whole new hardware. The performance of your i5 is more than enough.

Now you have to swap the configured interfaces to your new hardware nics.

Maybe there you can find the solution: https://rattkin.info/archives/1749

You also can reinstall your machine completelly fresh, configure your primary interface which you want to access and use it for administrating with the correct subnet and ip, then restore your config, after that at least one nic port should be accessible (that one with the correct ip and subnet), then you can change them via web gui or do it directly in cli. sorry but the exact commands for that I don´t have them to use before.

If you have changed them sucessfully via cli please repost that commands and sequence. thanks. :)

• Wow,  that did it.  This info was so helpful.  Thanks nd!

My UTM is up and running after I re-associated the new physical NICs with Network objects.

Thanks again for this info.  Saved me from buying new hardware.

• Wow,  that did it.  This info was so helpful.  Thanks nd!

My UTM is up and running after I re-associated the new physical NICs with Network objects.

Thanks again for this info.  Saved me from buying new hardware.

Children
No Data