This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Home License on SG115

So I bought a SG115 appliance only and I am trying to load my home license onto it and it is telling me I cannot load an ASG license on the appliance. I deleted my old license and recreated a new one with the same results.

Anyone offer any help on this?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I take it that you've been running it for 30 days already on the trial license then? In that case, you may have to get in via console cable. If you do this, loginuser and root may be useable with blank password. If you get in, run the following commands to factory reset, renewing the trial license:
    cc [Press ENTER]
    RAW [Press ENTER]
    system_factory_reset [Press ENTER]

Another option is to reinstall via ISO and a USB connected optical drive (CD or DVD), which will reset the 30-day trial as well.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • I did a reinstall, 

then I got this:

Now what...??

When I do a ls at root it shows one file "bin" thats it...

• Do you installed the hardware or software version of the utm on your sg?
    If it is the software version the /etc/asg file do not exist and you can install your home license on the webadmin interface.

if you are in the /etc directory you can list all files and folders wit the command ls.
    Now you should see the asg file if it exist.

Cheers Andreas

UTM SCE/SCA | Endpoint SCE

• Ok got it:

After I elevated to root I had to cd into /etc once there I was able to an "ls" command and I was then able to see the asg file, I then did "rm asg" and then a "reboot" command.
    Viola license loaded great.

Thank You Both Very Much For Your Time.
  • Hi all,

Has this process changed at all for more current versions of 9.3/9.4 etc?

I have an SG115w that I'd like to run on my home license.

Thanks!

• Rather than rm, I would

mv /etc/asg /etc/asg.bak

That would allow you to mv it back and load from an appliance ISO instead of the software ISO.

Note that the free home-use license may not legally be used in a business.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks Bob.  Using this at home for the time being.

So this method will work fine on current firmware releases?  And the wifi on the unit will work just fine?

• You should have no problems, Wesley.  An Up2Date is blind to whether it's being applied to an appliance or a software version.  If you have to reload from an appliance ISO, it must find /etc/asg intact.  It's not important for the units in the 1xx series because there's no front LED panel as there is on the 2xx series and above.  The internal wireless would work with both the appliance and software images.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Fantastic - thanks much Bob!

• Hi Bob,

I have an SG 115w that I am using at home. I bought it new, used the trial license for 30 days, and now want to install the Home license. I read above about moving the ASG file, but am assuming I have to login to the CLI on the box. My question is do I use admin and then the password that I set up during the WebAdmin wizard to do this? If not, how do I login?

Thanks

Jeremy

• Hi Jeremy and welcome to the UTM Community!

If you've never logged in as root, you should be prompted to enter a new password for it when you first attempt a root login.

If you've forgotten the password for the root account, follow the steps in How to reset all passwords.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

Thanks for the advice. Well I never set the root password, but nevertheless it seems to have one as it does not prompt me but just asks for a password. Do you know why that might be? I am running UTM 9.702, the box came with 9.6xx so maybe it was set during the update?

Anyway I am running through the hardwired access method to reset root. I ran into a peculiar problem. I am using a connected monitor/USB keyboard method (I am at the point (step 8? of the URL you sent How to reset all passwords) of putting in the init=/bin/bash command to set it up, the instructions for step 9 say to press "Enter", but when I do it kicks me back to the previous screen for starting the kernel. I am trying a couple of Apple keyboards but no luck.

Is this a keyboard problem? If so, what recommendations do you have?

Thanks,

Jeremy

• Hi Bob,

Thanks for the advice. Well I never set the root password, but nevertheless it seems to have one as it does not prompt me but just asks for a password. Do you know why that might be? I am running UTM 9.702, the box came with 9.6xx so maybe it was set during the update?

Anyway I am running through the hardwired access method to reset root. I ran into a peculiar problem. I am using a connected monitor/USB keyboard method (I am at the point (step 8? of the URL you sent How to reset all passwords) of putting in the init=/bin/bash command to set it up, the instructions for step 9 say to press "Enter", but when I do it kicks me back to the previous screen for starting the kernel. I am trying a couple of Apple keyboards but no luck.

Is this a keyboard problem? If so, what recommendations do you have?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Children
  • No idea, Jeremy - I've never had to follow that path and none of my clients have either.

It's been a loooong time since I've done it, but, when you first try to login as root, I think you give it any password you want and then it asks you to type it in again to confirm.  Did that work for you?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA