This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos certified engineer exam

does anyone know approximately how many questions there are in the Sophos certified engineer exam and what % are simlets.

My understanding is it takes 1.5 days to complete exam

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • and that's without a tea break!!! [:D][:D][:D]

• Well no tea but lot's of daily bean grind.  Peabody coffee that is 

Thanks Louis, guess I have my work cut out then.

if possible are you able to provide any detail on what to expect.  How many questions / simlets.

any links that may be helpful to reference to study regarding exam.

• Sorry Chris..... couldn't help myself [;)]

Not got an idea here but I know a man called Bob who might.....

I also see suggested links to the right of this post that may be helpful in case you missed them.

• Depends on what you want.

I can only answer the questions from a Sophos partner point of view, so there may be some differences to end user certifications.

The 2 day 'class part' was optional in achieving the 'Sophos UTM Certified Engineer', a small introduction called 'Fundamentals - Certified Engineer'  was mandatory to enable the exam. In that introduction there were several video courses and after that a 20 question multiple choice test about basic knowledge like encryption, firewalls and so on.

After the class part (which I took) there was also an exam with multiple choice questions, 55 if I counted right. The questions differ from test to test and are taken out of a 'pool' with about 70-80 questions, if I remember correct. Some of the questions are about the lab, that is practiced in the class part, so playing through the lab (which would have been possible to start for me through my partner login) is also mandatory, without you won't be able to answer all questions. If an enduser/customer has this possibility of launching the online lab I'm not quite sure.

After the 'Fundamentals - Certified Engineer' and after achieving the test you are called 'Sophos UTM Certified Engineer'. To become a 'Sophos Certified Engineer' you have to achieve another Engineer exam which in my part was Mail Protection. Which is free to select, but it has to be from SMC, XG Firewall, Mail Protection, Safeguard, iView or Web Protection - if I didn't miss any.

'Sophos Certified Architect' is the UTM Architect exam plus the mandatory class part for 'Sophos UTM Certified Architect, being a Sophos (UTM) Certified Engineer is also mandatory, If I remember correct. I think there was an additional exam to achieve (like in the Engineer), too, but I'm not 100% sure.

Gruß / Regards,

Kevin
    Sophos CE/CA (XG+UTM), Gold Partner

• Kevin,

Great info on syllabus/layout of certification detailing what to expect in preparation for exams. 

Very much appreciated.

Thank you!

- Christopher

• I reopened my exams, the fundamentals could be 40 questions also... maybe in the meantime, mine was 2 years ago.

- Fundamentals - Certified Engineer: 40 questions, >=80% correct to achieve.
    - UTM v9.3 - Certified Engineer: 40 questions, >=80% correct to achieve.
    - UTM v9.3 - Certified Architect: 50 questions, >= 80% correct to achieve.

Gruß / Regards,

Kevin

• Kevin is right, you must be a UTM Certified Engineer before you can take the Architect exam.  I think I did the Certified Engineer 13 years ago, so I don't remember the details.  It was easier than I thought - I way over-studied for it.  I'd been giving my guys (friendly) grief when they got too high of a score on a qualification test because it meant they weren't billing their time.  I got a big payback after I only missed one question.[:S]

I don't remember how much it costs to take the CE test, but it might be worth trying it before you think you're ready and then trying again.  I think you might be limited to three tests and then have to wait before trying again - you should check that out, too.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello there,

this is a bit off topic, but did any of you guys try to download your old certificate from the Sophos Learning Portal lately?

I found myself unable to find my old Engineer Exam. Did they remove the "older" certifications alltogeter?

• I'm also planning to have a Central Engineer exam. But I guess I won't have time to prepare. It's already on February 14 - 15, 2018. And do I need to pass Central Engineer before XG Firewall Engineer? It costs 15.500 CZK and is in Czech.

My further exams and courses:

Enduser Protection Course;

123 Paper Certificate;

Certificate in Internal Audit Services.

• Central Engineer + XG Engineer should make you a "Sophos Certified Engineer" afterwards, but at least the XG is standalone, can't say anything to the Central part.
    If the trainings in CZ aren't too different from those in DE you should not need any preparation before it.

If you meant the fundamentals, these are relatively simple network questions where only "completely new to IT"s should need assistance.
    In the exam you can use the lab environment, manuals, documentations. Normally nothing to worry about. Some answers were mentioned in the theoretically part, so writing down some notes can be helpful, too.

Gruß / Regards,

Kevin