Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

IPS benchmarking / performance testing discussion

Hi,

I've created a new 'sticky' thread for IPS performance benchmarks:
https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/29110

Please comment or ask questions HERE.

Thanks,
Barry

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • It's extremely ironic that this was posted as I've been testing and perusing for an answer during the past hour. I recently discovered that although my trusty D525 Atom Box can achieve speeds of 111-120 Megabit down via BitTorrent, when I attempt to perform a Speedtest @ Speedtest.net, I can barely achieve 20-25 Megabit. Upload in both cases is rock solid between 33-38 Megabit. It's a 2 Processor w/ HT, and when cc set ips num_instances 0 is issued (default), it will spawn 3 Snort Processes. I've also tested it at 2 and 4, and I didn't see a difference with Speedtest.net.

Is the reason that I can achieve high speeds with BitTorrent due to "Multiple Small Streams" whereas Speedtest is "One Large Stream"?
  • It's extremely ironic that this was posted as I've been testing and perusing for an answer during the past hour. I recently discovered that although my trusty D525 Atom Box can achieve speeds of 111-120 Megabit down via BitTorrent, when I attempt to perform a Speedtest @ Speedtest.net, I can barely achieve 20-25 Megabit. Upload in both cases is rock solid between 33-38 Megabit. It's a 2 Processor w/ HT, and when cc set ips num_instances 0 is issued (default), it will spawn 3 Snort Processes. I've also tested it at 2 and 4, and I didn't see a difference with Speedtest.net.

Is the reason that I can achieve high speeds with BitTorrent due to "Multiple Small Streams" whereas Speedtest is "One Large Stream"?
Children
No Data