This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

deploy.akamaitechnologies.com block the internetline

Hi,

i have many connections to the addresses like "a193-108-94-56.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com". I found many about this service in the internet, but i cannot understand why he needs 634.3 MB traffic (see in the executive reports).
Now i know why sometimes my internetline is very slow.

Somebody experience with this service? What you think about and doing? I will block the addresses.

cu

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • akamaitechnologies are a BIG mirror site.. Microsoft updates etc etc.
  • akamaitechnologies are a BIG mirror site.. Microsoft updates etc etc.

To elaborate a tad on what Simon said, Akamai is a huge commercial mirroring and hosting service. They claim to have more than 25,000 servers.  Large commercial firms like Microsoft, CNN, Cathay Pacific, MTV, Logitech, Sun, MySpace, Verizon - there are many of them - use Akamai to mirror their content around the world from Akamai server farms.

The 634MB could be several things, including Windows updates as Bruce mentioned.  You probably want to block sites you don't want, rather than blocking Akamai.  If you're not already using it - use Astaro's content filtering as a good first step.
  • To add to the conversation- blocking Akamai URLs will not help much, you need to find the referring URL and block that because that where the client makes the initial request.

It should be active by default, but make sure the Adobe exception is active under Web Security > HTTP > Exceptions.  A couple of Adobe downloads are enough to chew up a lot of bandwidth if it is not excluded from the proxy.

Also, as Bruce mentioned- WSUS is a good solution for Windows patches, but if you can justify any expense the commercial alternatives (I'm partial to Shavlik and BigFix) will manage and patch a wide range of applications, not just Microsoft products (Adobe/Firefox/WinZip and much more).  Once you are comfortable with a patch management system you will wonder how you lived without one.
  • deploy.akamaitechnologirs.com seems to block all internet sites and even my email - Eudora -
    I use an older firewall that allows me to block what ever I want.
    I hate MS so I stay as far for their junk as I can.
    I never have automatic updates turned on.And have never had any problems.
    SO why is this akamai crap tied into everything on the internet.
    Total control of everything you do online hummm ?????
  • deploy.akamaitechnologirs.com seems to block all internet sites and even my email - Eudora -
    I use an older firewall that allows me to block what ever I want.
    I hate MS so I stay as far for their junk as I can.
    I never have automatic updates turned on.And have never had any problems.
    SO why is this akamai crap tied into everything on the internet.
    Total control of everything you do online hummm ?????
Children
No Data