UTM (Home) EOL and moving over to Sophos Firewall... options?

Hello there...

Apologies if there is already a thread of this type... search didn't seem to find anything.

So UTM has a EOL announcement and I'm not here to bleat.

I've been using UTM Home for over 10 years so its kinda baked into my network with many many years of tweaking etc. It works. I can gladly say I have never had any compromised systems in this time.

The "new" Sophos Firewall was presented to me by a vendor/sophos team a few years ago as a suggested migration and try out. I wasn't impressed when I looked at it a few years ago and didn't feel like being a guinea pig for a system that could have an impact of a functional home system with "working from home" aspects too.

I have since had a good look over a Sophos Firewall demo site and had a browse through most of the options. Functionality in all the basics seems to be there, just a matter of finding it. Its another learning curve I suppose I may need to undertake.

So options???

Any comments suggestions etc from the long time users of UTM who have made a transition?

Regards
Craig

• You find some information here:  Lifecycle and Migration 

It depends on the way you work on your system, as UTM Home users often times started to do "things differently" like installing own RPMs, tweaking the system etc. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I did this switch a few years ago.Using both systems (SG/XG), at my home, company and at customer's.

Don't expect to have a 1:1 equivalent in functionality and usage.

Learn to do it the "XG" way. Some things are lacking, some things are easier, some things are strange. But it does the job.

Mit freundlichem Gruß, best regards from Germany,

Philipp Rusch

New Vision GmbH, Germany
    Sophos Silver-Partner

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Notes on installing Firewall... thinking I had not done it right etc x 5 - (rufus usb iso)

SW-19.5.1 ISO boots to display the following after an install
    "   Booting '19_5_1_278'
     _
    "
    Yep thats it....

So in actual fact you need to connect to an AP (so wireless router with DHCP disabled,  plugged into one of the LAN ports) to access the box.
    Figuring out what ports on the firewall are LAN/WAN is you next step...

The firewall interface is a "shotgun splatter" of activity and config.

It seems to be doing a great job as a "firewall" but setting up user profiles and devices? WTF?

• The firewall interface is a "shotgun splatter" of activity and config.

So true!

Any updates? How is the migration going for you? I'm still leaning towards migrating to one of the *sense's. I've been "playing" with several FW's and XG is just not a top pick for me. I'm hoping ease of use and feature parity with the UTM gets better by 2026. Fingers crossed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sophos UTM 9.718-5 - Home User
    Virtual machine on Dell Optiplex 3070
    i3-9100 @ 3.60 GHz, 16 GB RAM

• Hey Jeff

The XG box is gathering dust right now... I have stayed with the UTM.

What are the options Jeff?

I guess I have a year before they figure out the shite that "needs fixing that was never broken".

I spent a couple of days on an XG load, configured to what I could possibly figure out.... my issue is I don't want anyone connecting to my network with a device I dont recognise/mac address and authorise with a user/pass. For me this is basic network security 101. XG didnt seem to offer this option. I have no idea how this is configured under XG... I seriously lost interest. I need simplicity and logic. This product is confusing and layered in "vapour". 

XG has stuff buried in "options"... network traffic control???  I'm worried. No fcking way as an enterprise business would I pay for this system.

Reminds me of Blizzard Entertainment spending millions on a Diablo game upgrade... only to scrap it because "it actually wasnt fun to play"

Hey if you or anyone can help on this then let me know.

Cheers

Craig

• Unfortunately, *sense and Untangle appear to be the only options that I can afford.

• Jeff do either of these options have a "Home" version?

As an alternative if Sophos dont sort themselves out, Im considering a "basic" firewall with DHCP to manage mac/connections.... and then use my DNS PiHole for URL blocking (currently using Pihole with the UTM, and works a dream with subscribed domain blocklists)...

• What I meant by *sense is pfSense and OPNsense. Both are open-source. Untangle is $50 or $150 a year for a home license. If you use web filtering with SSL DPI, Untangle will be much better.