This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Slow throughput with the RED 50

Problem: slow connection between central office and Site B.

We have a central office with 100 Mbit/s and 25 Mbit/s up, similar our Site B has 100 down and 25 up.

Now in the Central office lies a SG230 with the 9.713-19 Firmware, connecting to the RED 50 we have in Site B. The RED's operation mode is standard/unified.

Currently, Site B is achieving 20 down and 13 up. Now, is this to be expected, especially with the slow upload on both sides of the connection? Or is there more we can check for, the routers setting etc.?

As this is my first post to the forum, please be kind and inform me if the question isn't appropriately asked/placed.

Thanks alot!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • 20 MBit/s is not normal. Maybe an MTU issue?
    Depending on configuration (i.E. tunnel compression) around 250-350 MBit/s times are normal.

• 250-350 MBit/s should not be possible with the 100 Mbit the routers are getting.

• Correct so far, but the RED50 should not be the limiting factor.
    These figures are more like an RED10. Even a RED15 should come close to 100MBit/s.
    Common problems include cabling issues, Duplex mismatch or MTU limits.

• Yes the max troughput is much higher than what we currently have. My question is only, is the connection between the sites responsible in 50% less speeds? Since obviously there is going to be additional up and download strain with the RED connection, so I wouldn't expect the devices in Site B to have 100mbit down, but more than 50% less seems a bit excessive. Does my explanation make any sense?

• Hi Lionel,

if you are using the RED in standard/unified mode, 20 MBit/s download in the branch office is all that you can expect, because it is limited by the UTMs upload.

What are you using to meassure the speeds? If you are running an internet speed test, the REDs upload would also be limited by the UTMs upload, that may be shared with other traffic at the same time.

Are there other devices in the branch office that are not using the RED but are using a direct internet connection and could take up part of the bandwidth?

• Thank you very much for the answer, I suppose it's time to look for a better plan.

There are no devices that could be taking some of the bandwidth, and we are using testmy.net connecting directly to the RED50

• Hi Lionel,

according to the bandwidth of your sites, the best you can achieve on Site B with a RED in standard/unified mode is 25 Mbit/s down and 25 Mbit/s up.

If you have other outgoing traffic in the central office, that will reduce the bandwidth on the Site B further.

20 down and 13 up is on the other hand to less if there is no other traffic in the central office, maybe check the bandwidth on Site B without the RED.

bye Josef

BERGMANN engineering & consulting GmbH, Wien/Austria