This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Virtualized UTM 9 Home Edition - FTP Bandwidth Issues

Hi!

I've an strange issue with FTP uploads to other servers / downloads from my local FTP server. I have 60Mbit Up but any FTP connection from various ISPs and daytimes are throtteling arround 16Mbit. My UTM 9 is virtualized on Hyper-V with some external and internal NICs. I have a direct internet connection from within the UTM 9 without any upstream router at the WAN port.

My first thought was a bad peering of my ISP but the issue appears also within the same ASN. My next thought was an issue with Hyper-V (Windows 8.1 Enterprise) so I've tested a third party hardware router and indeed the issue was gone. BUT then I've tested a quick and dirty IPfire and OPnsense setup with the same network settings on Hyper-V and the issue did not appear also.

So the reason pointed to the UTM 9. The next step was to test various settings (FTP Helper, IDS, etc.) but the issue remained. Then I've provided my FTP content via HTTPs on the same server and tests from various ISP stated a download speed of 50-55Mbit.

On the other side, if I download content via FTP from other servers I got the full download speed (depending on the available bandwidth of the offsite FTP servers) but in any way far above of the strange ~16Mbit "limit" of my upload speed.

Conclusion

I have no general issue with my Upload/Download speed but definetly with FTP and my upload connection.

Any suggestions to solve this issue are welcome!

Regards

Tom

Additional information: Iv'e also tested ftp up & downloads through the UTM to another internal zone and got transfer speeds arround 80MB/s which certainly was limited by the target drive.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.