This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to speed up the download speed

Hi, 

Today, I have a Test. I download a 1G file from Google Drive. I found that the download speed is around 2xx-3xxkb/s. If I download the file w/o through the firewall, the speed will jump to 1M to 2M /s. 

I don't know this download speed 2xx-3xxkb/s is correct or it can be improved. 

Please Help!

Thanks!

**I haven't set any Qos.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Did u tried downloading a big file from your local server?Once i was facing the problem of almost  speed internet.By one feedback,i tried downloaded a giant size file from my local server.Be very much sure with the format of file.From my place debian was cool,it may vary for your locality.

• Hi Beverly Strom,

So Sorry! I am not sure the "LOCAL SERVER" meaning. You mean downloading a big file from our DC server through the intranet or download the big file from the other Hong Kong Server. If the second one, I am so sorry. Because in Hong Kong, Cloud server needs fee. So Google is very helpful for us.

• here you can find a local debian mirror

https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/#mirrors

if you try to load a file from (or sync data with...) servers located in europe us US you may pass local security systems, which slow down transfer

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Hi D,

download from this link : mirror.xtom.com.hk/.../debian-live-9.8.0-i386-cinnamon.iso

Testing result are following:

With Firewall : around 5M

without Firewall : around 6M - 55M (So large fluctuation)

• Your speed information confuses me a bit ...
    at the beginning of the topic 1-2 MB/s were reported without firewall and 200-300kb/s with firewall.
    "Today, I have a Test. I download a 1G file from Google Drive. I found that the download speed is around 2xx-3xxkb/s. If I download the file w/o through the firewall, the speed will jump to 1M to 2M /s.
    I don't know this download speed 2xx-3xxkb/s is correct or it can be improved."
    you already measured 300 MB/s with firewall.
    Now we reach 5 MBit with ... and only 6-30 Mbit without FW.
    That is confusing.
    Sorry, i have no more ideas.
    I think, the firewall isn't the source of the problem.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Hi Dirkkotte,

I don't know how to improve too. But the firewall really drops the download from Google Drive and OFCA testing. 

Basically, I use Web Protection function only.

Following testing disable all options, but it haven't any improvement. So I think the problem comes from the firewall which we don't know why only. 

Do you have any new idea? 

Thanks!

• Disable all security protections on the firewall, shut down everything but the basic rules, connect a PC (one you can test somewhere else and know it can download at high speeds) directly to one of the interfaces on the firewall.  They run your tests, firewall rules should not control speed, they are simply allow/deny not packet inspection.  (This is why you must turn everything off, I am talking web control, IPS, AV or anything else you have enabled.) Make sure all your cables are good cables as well.  

If you still do not have the same high speed as you do without your firewall than this is a hardware issue.

Respectfully, 

Badrobot

• Also when running your tests make sure you have a rule that is-

Source: LAN, ANY

to

WAN, ANY

Respectfully, 

Badrobot

• Hi BadRobot,

Thank you for your reply.

Following is the testing result:

The speed can't be fixed .....