Reporting

Hi,

New to this UTM but have used others previously like Untangle.

I installed primarily to get a proxy up and running to report on gateway usage but I'm not sure if this free product provides the granularity I require.

I have it setup and working with an allow all <> rule and it is giving me some reporting on a coupe of hosts I;ve manually configured to use as the gateway.

Does anybody have a quick answer on if more granular reporting is available with a one off licence without me having to go through Sophos themselves.

Boom Boom

BB
  • Hi, and welcome to the User BB, BB!

The Essential Firewall is a stripped-down product for business use, and it has limited reporting capabilities.  The Home-Use version is for home users that aren't running a business out of their homes, and it has all of the same reporting capabilities as the full-cost, top-end version.  What is your situation?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks for the response, we are a global business with a very small IT team managing a number of small international branch offices. I'm currently trialing this at our HQ in UK which has about 40 Users but our smaller offices are 
  • Hi BasilBrush,

You may want to double check the A/V entitlement as the essentials edition license does not include any free endpoints, you need to have certain paid subscriptions for that entitlement.

I'd also strongly suggest having a local Sophos partner who knows their UTM's get involved in helping you sort through the options. With the proper equipment in place, you can sometimes reduce or eliminate the need for MPLS Inter-Office WAN services, saving you money. A good partner will also know the ins and outs of the product line so can help you get the best bang for your buck, plus they're are expected to be the first line of support so should know how to get you back up and can engage Sophos if required.
  • Hi BasilBrush,

You may want to double check the A/V entitlement as the essentials edition license does not include any free endpoints, you need to have certain paid subscriptions for that entitlement.

I'd also strongly suggest having a local Sophos partner who knows their UTM's get involved in helping you sort through the options. With the proper equipment in place, you can sometimes reduce or eliminate the need for MPLS Inter-Office WAN services, saving you money. A good partner will also know the ins and outs of the product line so can help you get the best bang for your buck, plus they're are expected to be the first line of support so should know how to get you back up and can engage Sophos if required.

Hi, thanks for the feedback, not wanting to quibble but my essential firewall does have 10 free endpoint licences, I have one installed on my own laptop, and it isn't the home version.

Endpoint AntiVirus
    Exp. Date: 16 January 2038
    Max. Users: 10 ( 0 licensed Users + 10 free Users )
    Description: This subscription enables Endpoint Protection incl. Antivirus, HIPS and Device Control.

We are looking at security globally as part of a separate project (I did say this is the first step in a baselining exercise) that's quite a way off yet though so need somehting fast and dirty to get insight and protection hence why I thought this product looked ideal.

Cheers

BB
  • I stand corrected. Just uploaded a new Essentials Lic into my test VM (9.1) and it's showing 10 endpoints. Didn't think it was included. Be curious to know what capabilities it has in an essentials environment.
  • I stand corrected. Just uploaded a new Essentials Lic into my test VM (9.1) and it's showing 10 endpoints. Didn't think it was included. Be curious to know what capabilities it has in an essentials environment.

I've run a scan of my machine and it picked up some fairly low level stuff (adware) McAfee Enterprise didn't along with some of the sysinternals tools as potentially hacking tools (pskill, etc.)

The Device Control is rather good as well. Very nice to have that included, if it works well.

I've built up some policies and groups and will test that but so far it looks pretty good, the scan with the endpoint av scanner was very lightweight in terms of cpu on my 3rd gen i5 machine.