30Mbit upload on 100Mbit connection

Hi,

I have just installed Sophos Essentials UTM on Hyper-V 2012 R2 to evaluate it.  It works OK but whilst I can almost saturate a 100Mbit link with an HTTP download I'm only getting 30Mbit HTTP uploads (I'm using speedtest.net).  I'm not seeing any pressure on RAM or CPU.

With the same test windows client VM when connected directly to the public IP range I'm getting almost 100Mbit up and 100Mbit down.
  • Hi, telis, and welcome to the User BB!

speedtest.net is single-threaded, so it doesn't give a very good measure when using Intrusion Prevention, Web Filtering, etc.  If you run the test from three different machines simultaneously, you should get 30Mbit on each.  That assumes you've given adequate resources to the VM and are using the right virtual NIC drivers.

However, the free Essentials license doesn't include the HTTP Proxy or Intrusion Prevention, so you're either running on the 30-day-trial full license or you do want to choose a different NIC driver.  If this is for a business, you might want to get in touch with a local reseller.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • We thought we'd evaluate the essentials product first so we know what it could and could not do compared to the commercial product.

I don't know anything about Linux so I've no idea how to change the NIC driver - isn't Hyper-V listed as a supported platform?

Running both uploads at the same time on two separate clients halves the upload speed of each.
  • which nic type are you using inside of your vm?  if you aren't using native you are going to have issues.  also what is the cpu type and speed of your host mahcine?  how many cpu's and what percentage is dedicated to your cpu?  

UTM is very sensitive to cpu allocations.  If you are running with 4 vcpus and don't ahve more than 50 or so users you won't see good performance.  Also if your host cpu isn't faster than 2.0ghz you also might not get satisfactory results.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• There's a ton of variables we don't know here.  PM sent..[:)]

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow