HA in an existing VPC

I'm trying to deploy this in front of a bunch of existing stacks, in an existing VPC, is there a way that we can to deploy the HA template in an existing VPC? [:S] Also, it would be nice to be able to define the subnets that it will be using.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • I was about to post about this myself, but it looks like you beat me to it.

As it stands, the instructions just don't work at all - whether or not you're using a new VPC. Just like this thread, the cloud formation is always failing with the error "AMI cannot be described". I'm worried Sophos isn't paying much attention to whether or not this solution works or if it can actually be used in customer environments.

Anyway, to add my own questions/comments in addition to Xipher's:

1. How do you define the subnets to use, as Xipher mentioned? Without this, you can't tell the cloud stack what your public subnets are (or control the AZ the instances are placed in - currently hard coded to east coast zones).

2. Does the HA solution only support a single Elastic IP? What about scenarios where multiple elastic IP's are mapped to different IP addresses owned by the UTM?

3. What about instance size? It seems the HA template hard codes an m3.medium system, what if a different size is required?

Also, if the response is "go figure out how to write/test your own cloud stack formation template, you can use ours as a starting point", then can we get some documentation to go with the template? Reading the json and testing yourself is a long road.
  • I asked the same question and it was No not yet but the next version they are working on will allow this since it will also be auto scaling. so hopefully in the next few months
  • @fscalzo

Thanks for the follow up, I was fairly certain that was the case. Right now I've got a support ticket open with Sophos but I haven't gotten a direct "Nope, this doesn't work, we'll have something in N months". Instead I keep getting asked if I followed the KB article and to confirm the error I'm seeing.

Going on 6 days now, so I think I'm going to just give up on that path. 

If you've successfully setup HA in AWS, would you mind posting a response to my other question? We've come up with an HA solution that's specific of our setup with a bunch of scripting (following route 2), but I'd love to hear about somebody else's experience.
  • Hey everyone, thanks for your feedback, and sorry for the slow reply on my part. I've been busy travelling, and am just getting caught up from my return.

The existing incarnation is meant to be for creating new setups, rather than changing existing setups, and is limited to a single public IP currently. Some of this is because of limits in features available in the cloudformation template system.

We're working on some features for release following the autoscaling release, that will help simplify deployment, and should allow conversion of an existing UTM from standalone to HA or autoscaling. 

I made a couple of tweaks to the published templates, to test a couple ideas, and the attached templates in this post offer the ability to set the octet for each subnet we'll create, and also to choose the three availability zones currently statically listed in the template. There are issues where AWS will not make all AZs available in all accounts, so if you run into this issue, you don't need to edit the template to work around it. I've also updated the default AMI ID, since it was still referencing the AMI ID sent to aws for publishing, not the AMI ID they made public after publishing.  

If you're having problems deploying, give these a try, and let me know if it helps.
    aws ha templates.zip
  • I was successful in creating the cold-standby using the zipped template in the post above.  However, my instance is no where to be found (yes i did look in other regions too).

What am I missing here and is there any documentation for this as far as limitations?

What happens when we need to do an update / reboot?

Thanks!
  • Hi IronLogix,

did the cloudformation deployment indicate it was completed successfully? The instances will have begun deploying if it did, and you should just need to wait a bit and refresh. 

If the instance failed to deploy for some reason the cloudformation deployment would show failed. so they must be there somewhere, if it confirmed success.

Incidentally, the attached templates are newer, and much improved. We will be updating the officially posted templates in the near future.
    utm-latest-ha-templates-alan-0730.zip
  • Yes it shows CREATE_COMPLETE.

Then I go over to my EC2 instances and there isn't one.
  • Can you check in EC2 under Autoscaling> Autoscaling Groups > Instances, and see whats listed? If any instances are running, you should see running instances there, and clicking on the instance id should take you to the details page for that instance.

if nothing is there, can you provide the logs from your cloudformation deployment?