Deployment Issue - can't create subnet in a particular az

When deploying the HA template in one of my accounts, deployment failed. The first error in the event log was 
Value (us-east-1c) for parameter availabilityZone is invalid. Subnets can currently only be created in the following availability zones: us-east-1b, us-east-1d, us-east-1a, us-east-1e.

I tried manually creating a subnet in us-east-1c in this account, and AWS threw the same error again. I'm not sure of the cause on the AWS site currently, but it didn't happen when I tested in another AWS account. 

If anyone encounters anything similar in their own setups, I was able to avoid the problem as follows: 
Download the template, and edit the following section:
    "Mappings" : {
        "SubnetConfig" : {
            "Subnet1" : { "AZ" : "us-east-1c" },
            "Subnet2" : { "AZ" : "us-east-1d" },
            "Subnet3" : { "AZ" : "us-east-1e" }
        },

In my case, I changed us-east-1c to us-east-1b, then deployed with the edited template instead, and it deployed without any further problems.
Parents Reply
  • Yeah, AWS randomizes what the physical AZ is in relation to the AZ defined in each account.  I wasn't aware that one of them wasn't really there, though --- maybe it's just an AZ that's "full" and lacks free instance space?

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

Children
No Data