manual pin entry

Is there a way to make the pin entry totally automatic? I have a need for this on a computer that will remain in a remote area and need the secure client to make a connection without a human to type in the pin.
  • Sounds like a case for site-to-site-vpn instead of remote access.
  • I need to keep this a minimal solution, so basically the PC has to be able to establish an IPSEC connection using x509 certs, and to be able to recover from a connection interuption. Any Ideas??
  • Well, that should be possible. What type of client is the PC? Linux/Windows/whatever?

With Windows Servers it should be easy, possible also for Linux, but might require some more research.
  • I have the same problem with ASL7 , ASC 9 and X509 certificates. I need some method to remember the PIN after reboot because the remote machine can no be locally accessed when this reboot. Do you know some script? How to get this funtion with Windows?
    Thanks in advance

Well, that should be possible. What type of client is the PC? Linux/Windows/whatever?

With Windows Servers it should be easy, possible also for Linux, but might require some more research.
  • If this remote machine is running Windows XP or newer, why not access it with RDP and restart ASC?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks.
    The problem is this, the remote machines are 240 and they are around whole Panama. They are giving a robotic service (without human intervention) and using the VPN client to connect to central site. It is possible use RDP but they are too many and sometimes far. The idea is to get a remote procedure to "remenber" or store the PIN of certificates X509 inside the client or the gateway. Do you know how to "remember" the PIN for a certificate?
    I know, it is not the idea about to use the certificate PIN but it is a requirement from the customer.
    Thanks again.
  • I don´t know any way to enter the PIN in the Client automatically, because it would be a security risk.

If you want to do it anyway it i would use an automation tool like AutoIT

AutoIt v3 - Downloads

With this tool you can compile executable files to run on your PCs.

Here is a little Script that would do that. It activates the Astaro Client Windows, then presses alt-n, then c (for connect), then it waits for the pin window to pop up, sends the pin 1234 and presses the ok button.

------

; Select Client
    WinActivate("Astaro Secure Client")
    WinWaitActive("Astaro Secure Client")

; PIN
    Send("!n")
    sleep(500)
    Send("c")
    sleep(50)
    WinWaitActive("Enter PIN")
    Send("1234")
    sleep(50)