[8.285][QUESTION][OPEN] RED : Presto you have a Tunnel ?

Site-to-Site VPN using RED Protocol
    We have added the ability to make tunnels between ASG devices using our much-heralded RED tunnel technology. This operates similarly to how site-site over SSL works;
        Login to the main site, go to the RED section, add a RED, and pick type "ASG".
        Download the provisioning file which is created
        Login to the remote site, go to the Client [Tunnel Management] tab in RED
        Add a tunnel, enter the hostname of the ASG and supply the provisioning file you downloaded.
        Presto, you'll have a tunnel!

*Note: this will NOT turn your remote ASG into a RED terminal. It will still have a GUI and work like a normal Site-Site VPN does.
        *Note 2: We will likely move this feature into the VPN section in a future 8.3 Beta release.

All done - tunnel is up but no traffic thru it - just ping / pong.

Documentation on this is missing - so for someone trying out RED for the very first time in ASG to ASG this is far more confusing than site2site vpn - not much presto about it.

Could someone explain what the thoughts about ASG's as RED is? Are you suppose to add routes and firewall rules your self or ?
Basically this feature seems to be a little in the dark where you have to figure out how the developer put it together.

I really want to test this part in its full extent..
Parents
  • Hi,

been a while since I tried with the bridge mode, but as far as I can recall I was not able to ping either.

I can use and ping the RED tunnel if I use a non VLAN interface in bridge mode.

A feature request including this is already present : Networking: Create more than one bridge

However, yes there are good reasons as it needs special care to protect the vlan broadcast domains etc, but as far as I can tell it is possible today fx from firewallbuilder : 9.6.*Bridge ports

Adding VLAN interfaces as bridge ports, as well as mixing regular Ethernet and VLAN interfaces is supported. That is, the following configuration can be configured in Firewall Builder and the generated script will create it: 

It used to be a Cisco thing, but I found several linux configuration examples that made it possible, but how well it will work the the RED implementation is beyond my knowledge.

Call it whatever you want, "by design" "intended way" and so on, it just doesn't really help people like me where the infrastructure is vlan based and it limits the use of RED.
    That is ok, but at least put it into the documentation that it is not supported.
    And in that context, the explanation of RED as just a very long ethernet cable... well maybe its the simple version, but with a long cable you would be able to transfer tagged vlans to a remote location.

As stated before, I will just accept that RED is not something we are going to use alot - but perhaps just on the client lan segments to allow greater transparancy.

Dont really know what to think if this yet, I like the idea - but as stated, not sure it is usefull for me in its current state.
  • Did I get this correctly, you wanted to bridge a red tunnel and a vlan interface together?

Like this:

eth0.100  reds1

But using this setup you weren't able to reach the br0 interface from the red client? Correct?

Helmut
  • Hi,

something like that.

Some of the other guys around here told me that the way RED works is via bridge interface and not just routing to that interface which I got working.

However, as stated I have fx. ETH04 with VLAN 1200,1210,1220,1230 and so on.
    And yes, then ofcourse I had to try to bridge ETH04 to til RED01 interface, and that is not possible unless you first bridge a non-vlan interface and then move the vlans to the new bridge interface.
  • Hi,

something like that.

Some of the other guys around here told me that the way RED works is via bridge interface and not just routing to that interface which I got working.

However, as stated I have fx. ETH04 with VLAN 1200,1210,1220,1230 and so on.
    And yes, then ofcourse I had to try to bridge ETH04 to til RED01 interface, and that is not possible unless you first bridge a non-vlan interface and then move the vlans to the new bridge interface.
Children
No Data