E-mail Security-> SMTP
1) Simple Mode
2) Routing: 1) mydomain.com
                 2) mailserver.mydomain.com
3)Relaying: Allowed hosts/networks-> mailserver.mydomain.com
4)Advanced: 1) Filled in my "Private RSA key"
                        filled in the selector "test1024"
                       DKIM Domains: mydomain.com
                   2) Activated "Use transparent mode" & "Allow SMTP traffic for listed hosts/nets"

Further I enabled & also disabeld the AV-footer, So I know for sure that the e-mail is going trough ASG.

My nameserver has the right entry (this is tested with another application where it works fine). The "public key" is added in the header but when I test with my yahoo-account it says the following:

"domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
d=mydomain.com; s=test1024; h=From[:D]ate:To:Message-ID:Subject:
MIME-Version:Content-Type; bh=eYrTKD1FzeJ4fYijEdK/rdPnjLTnDVFszX
kas6BU55U=; b=J3Sg88eLzcfaEVuJpZqpxxWLryjd4fg7zJJgnEBmiFJu5gIkwd
JiVKW53sb9aUSyd84z9EZPDKShUxDK9ttTDY39bICkKnsyycG/ZfAonWTv25jzko
FhGZeQGEdPn57OrhQcCrQlza9HKp2buA+iXwy9mxspnltm8Eoh8yx/WHI="

The domainkeys shouldn't be neutral (nosig) but something like: from=mydomain.com; domainkeys=pass (ok)...
Parents
  • Does the outgoing mail contain a DKIM-Signature header? Please send a message through that ASG to tkistner@astaro-tech.com (This is an out-of-band email address that does no content scan or modification on incoming messages).
  • This has resolved itself outside of this thread ...
  • Tom, I established a DKIM record at ns1.bluehost.com:

dkim._domainkey.mediasoftusa.com IN TXT v=DKIM1; p={output of OpenSSL stripped of header, footer & carriage returns}

I have pasted the output of OpenSSL for the private key into Private RSA key complete with the header, footer and CRs.

Key selector: dkim

Domain: mediasoftusa.com

The header of an email sent from mediasoftusa.com to yahoo.com reveals:

domainkeys=neutral (no sig)

Do I need to enable the transparent mode, or do I have another problem?

I have a two-page document I created entitled "Configuring DKIM in the Astaro SMTP Proxy" that I can send you if it would help you understand my problem.

Thanks - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Tom, I established a DKIM record at ns1.bluehost.com:

dkim._domainkey.mediasoftusa.com IN TXT v=DKIM1; p={output of OpenSSL stripped of header, footer & carriage returns}

You also need to terminate the record name with a dot if you specify the full domain, like:

dkim._domainkey.mediasoftusa.com. IN TXT v=DKIM1; p={output of OpenSSL stripped of header, footer & carriage returns}

The header of an email sent from mediasoftusa.com to yahoo.com reveals:

domainkeys=neutral (no sig)

This is a "domainkeys" result which is kind of a predecessor to DKIM. You can test using the "official" reflector address. See http://testing.dkim.org/reflector.html
  • I'm sorry for the typo, Tom; the "." is in the DNS record.

An email to mail@testing.dkim.org returns an email containing:

Authentication Results
    testing.dkim.org; v=0.1;  ssp=neutral, header.From=balfson@MediaSoftUSA.com
    DKIM Processing Output
    [IIM-EOM: Info]
    End of Message

Shouldn't there be something in my outbound header that indicates DKIM?  Here's an example of what I sent to my Yahoo account:

From Bob Alfson Thu Sep 11 22:50:16 2008
    Return-Path: 
    Authentication-Results: mta293.mail.mud.yahoo.com  from=MediaSoftUSA.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    Received: from 68.15.104.33  (EHLO mediasoftusa.com) (68.15.104.33)
      by mta293.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:51:26 -0700
    Received: from BobDeskTop ([10.1.1.64]) by mediasoftusa.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);
     Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:50:15 -0500
    To: 
    Subject: DKIM test
    Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:50:16 -0500
    Message-ID: 
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
    boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0004_01C91436.D9302390"
    Importance: Normal
    Thread-Index: AckUYMGk9Z6xGeTESfuALLJfZiaGVQ==
    Return-Path: BAlfson@MediaSoftUSA.com
    Content-Length: 4132

Thanks again - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Yes, there should be a DKIM-Signature: header in there, so it doesn't sign it. Please check /var/log/smtp.log when sending a message. You can also send login info to tkistner@astaro.com, then I can have a look myself.
  • My mistake was diagnosed by Tom.  His final email gave me what I was missing that caused the Astaro to reject emails from my Exchange Server:

Re-add the smarthost to Exchange, and add the IP of your Exchange server to the "Relaying->Host-based relay" list. Then outgoing mail will be handled by ASG, and signing should work OK.

Now, my emails to myself at Gmail get through with a 'DKIM-pass' in the header and have the correct DKIM-Signature, but ones to my Yahoo account are not going through!

When I send an email to 'dkim-test@testing.dkim.org', I get:
    testing.dkim.org; v=0.1; dkim=fail, header.i=@mediasoftusa.com (
    Err: body altered; RSA-64 err: hdrdiffs=none; bodyvfy=no; me
    diasoftusa.com/dkim fail; );

How can this be?

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I found another reflector, and it passes me:

check-auth@verifier.port25.com

It's better than the one at dkim.org.

I'm still not able to send email to my Yahoo address.

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • The Yahoo email finally came through.  In fact, they do DK checking only, so the DKIM-Signature had nothing to do with Yahoo's slowness.

Thanks again to Tom and to Astaro for the awesome opportunity to participate in the evolution of Astaro!

I've written a 'cheat sheet' Configuring DKIM in the Astaro SMTP Proxy.  It includes obtaining a key generator, building the keys and configuring Exchange 2003.  It's written for the Windows environment, but most of it should be applicable for any environment.  The only payment I ask is feedback on improving the document.  Email me at BAlfson at MediaSoftUSA dot com.

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • The Yahoo email finally came through.  In fact, they do DK checking only, so the DKIM-Signature had nothing to do with Yahoo's slowness.

Thanks again to Tom and to Astaro for the awesome opportunity to participate in the evolution of Astaro!

I've written a 'cheat sheet' Configuring DKIM in the Astaro SMTP Proxy.  It includes obtaining a key generator, building the keys and configuring Exchange 2003.  It's written for the Windows environment, but most of it should be applicable for any environment.  The only payment I ask is feedback on improving the document.  Email me at BAlfson at MediaSoftUSA dot com.

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data