AP50 did not work anymore

Hello 

On of our AP50 did not work anymore. Only the Power LED is blinking.
I also get no link an any switch.

What is to do?

Cheers
Chris
Parents
  • DOA=Return to Astaro..

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Hello,

for me it sounds like a problem with the network cable.
    What ranges do you have between switch and ap? I have sometimes this problems with bad network cables. Do you use POE or an powersupply? 
    What I see with bad cables, is that the switch start work via POE (lights blinking), but becomes no ethernet connection. When I changed the cables all worked fine. 
    Can you check the ap with an short cable connected direct to the switch? What network speed do you use 1GB 100MB?

It is only an idea, maybe the ap is realy dead.

regards Volker
  • I haven't seen a dead AP during the beta yet so this would be the first one. Could you please explain how the power led is blinking? Is it a periodic on/off?
  • Hello,

for me it sounds like a problem with the network cable.
    What ranges do you have between switch and ap? I have sometimes this problems with bad network cables. Do you use POE or an powersupply? 
    What I see with bad cables, is that the switch start work via POE (lights blinking), but becomes no ethernet connection. When I changed the cables all worked fine. 
    Can you check the ap with an short cable connected direct to the switch? What network speed do you use 1GB 100MB?

It is only an idea, maybe the ap is realy dead.

regards Volker

No, it isn't. When I put one of the other AP50 to this cable and port it works.
    I have test it with the external powersupply and with a PoE-switch. It will not work. only the power LED ist blinking...

So can I use the RMA-form or not. Astaro support says I can not use it, because its beta. So where can I get a new one?

Cheers
    Chris
  • I haven't seen a dead AP during the beta yet so this would be the first one. Could you please explain how the power led is blinking? Is it a periodic on/off?

Here is a video ;-)

AP50 - YouTube

Cheers
    Chris
  • Here is a video ;-)

Thanks. The AP50 is indeed broken, the bootloader cannot start the actual firmware. Not sure why, maybe a firmware update failed?

However, please send it back to Astaro for further analysis.

And could you please attach your wireless log files starting from the day the AP didn't come up anymore (or send them via mail to me: hschaa@astaro.com) here so that I can see if a firmware update caused this?

Thanks,
    Helmut
  • Here is a video ;-)

Thanks. The AP50 is indeed broken, the bootloader cannot start the actual firmware. Not sure why, maybe a firmware update failed?

However, please send it back to Astaro for further analysis.

And could you please attach your wireless log files starting from the day the AP didn't come up anymore (or send them via mail to me: hschaa@astaro.com) here so that I can see if a firmware update caused this?

Thanks,
    Helmut
Children
  • Thanks for the log. The last communication with the AP was indeed a firmware update:

2011:12:19-16:24:31 asgbeta83 awed[5716]: send msg: ip:'192.168.12.23', id:'A40002E2A6A1A0E', type:'6', length:'2395526'
    [...]
    2011:12:19-16:25:32 asgbeta83 awed[5716]: AP 'A40002E2A6A1A0E': timed out after 61 seconds

I can only imagine that the AP50 somehow lost its power supply (POE) during the firmware update and hence couldn't finish it and is now stuck with the incomplete firmware.

Helmut