First experiance-test and QUESTIONS with ASG 220 8.281 and WiFi

Hi today I hat the first day after receiving the AP to test them. 

Simple Setup. on eth7 I have connected a PEO switch and to that I have connected 2xAP50, 2xAP30, and 2xAP10. 

All of them got the same initial wireless configuration with a Guest SSID and a separated network. 

This Process still works fine. after that I have dispatched all but one AP50 to get  better testresults. 

My testclient was my Mac Book Pro 15" early 2011 with the 3 spatialstream Atheros chipset for 802.11n till 450 Mbit throughput.

After the connection to the AP50 I had a look to the connection speed wich was  negotiated between the AP and the Client. It wasn't as high as I have expected. The AP was located closely to the Client and I only got 65 Mbits/s linkspeed shown in "Webadmin" My Mac Book has shown a completely different speed. And that is the reason why I am writing this article. 

I have started a series of measurement have a look on my improved table here. 

AP-Device---speed ASG---speed MB---MCS-Index---RSSI in dBm
AP30--------130 Mbit/s---117 Mbit/s--14-----------(-55)
Ch1---------144.4Mbit/s--78Mbit/s--- 12-----------(-33)
-------------130.4Mbit/s--104Mbit/s---13-----------(-34)

AP50--------65 Mbit/s-----52Mbit/s---11-----------(-30)
Ch11--------65 Mbit/s-----26 Mbit/s---9-----------(-30)
-------------39 Mbit/s-----78 Mbit/s---12----------(-58)
-------------65 Mbit/s-----104 Mbit/s--13----------(-31)

AP10--------72.2 Mbit/s----73 Mbit/s---7-----------(-37)
Ch1---------65 Mbit/s-----65 Mbit/s----7-----------(-60)
-------------65 Mbit/s-----78 Mbit/s----7----------(-29)
-------------6.5 Mbit/s-----65 Mbit/s---7-----------(-31)
-------------52 Mbit/s------65 Mbit/s---7----------(-31)

I think it is clear that the display differ on the ASG and the MB. Please tell me what kind of metric do you use to get the connection speed which is displayed in the ASG? Why is there a difference between my client and the ASG? 

And my second experience, which was made today, is that the AP50 only get a maximum speed of 65 Mbit/s (displayed in ASG) while it is connected to a 10/100 ethernet port. If I connect the AP to a Gbit/s NIC then I get 130 Mbit/s connection speed with this AP. I do not think that this makes really sense. Because not everywhere where this APs will be installed will be a 1000 Mbit/s Port available. And then al the clients do only get this low speed connection and can not interact at the fastest possible speed. I think that is not fair. 

Here is another important question: Why is there no WIFI Certification on the AP? Is the AP not compliant with the 802.11n standard defined by the IEEE? Or has the certification process not ended until today. 

Regards
Parents

• I think it is clear that the display differ on the ASG and the MB. Please tell me what kind of metric do you use to get the connection speed which is displayed in the ASG? Why is there a difference between my client and the ASG? 

I don't know what metric the MB uses but the ASG will show the tx-rate used for the last frame transmission _to_ the MB. rx-rates are not used.

Also, the tx-rate is not negotiated but selected on channel and connection parameters such as frame-retries and lost frames. So, it can change with each single frame but since the ASG doesn't show real time stats the shown speed should only be treated as an estimation.

And my second experience, which was made today, is that the AP50 only get a maximum speed of 65 Mbit/s (displayed in ASG) while it is connected to a 10/100 ethernet port. If I connect the AP to a Gbit/s NIC then I get 130 Mbit/s connection speed with this AP. I do not think that this makes really sense. Because not everywhere where this APs will be installed will be a 1000 Mbit/s Port available. And then al the clients do only get this low speed connection and can not interact at the fastest possible speed. I think that is not fair. 

This is _not_ intentional. The AP50 should be able to deliver tx rates up to 130Mbps (physical layer) even when connected to a 100Mbps switch.

Let me check this.

Here is another important question: Why is there no WIFI Certification on the AP? Is the AP not compliant with the 802.11n standard defined by the IEEE? Or has the certification process not ended until today. 
    Regards

WiFi Certification has nothing to do with IEEE, the WiFi Alliance is a organization providing different certifications for wifi devices with the aim to achieve better interoperability. The AP50 is however compliant with the current IEEE 802.11 specifications.

Helmut

• This is _not_ intentional. The AP50 should be able to deliver up with tx rates to 130Mbps (physical layer) even when connected to a 100Mbps switch.

Let me check this.

Ok, using an Intel 5100 WiFi client (which is 2R1T) and transferring data from the AP to the client I can see the tx rate going up to 130Mbps (2 stream, 20Mhz, long GI). So, in my setup it works just fine.

Have you just associated to the AP or did you also transfer some data?

Helmut

• This is _not_ intentional. The AP50 should be able to deliver up with tx rates to 130Mbps (physical layer) even when connected to a 100Mbps switch.

Let me check this.

Ok, using an Intel 5100 WiFi client (which is 2R1T) and transferring data from the AP to the client I can see the tx rate going up to 130Mbps (2 stream, 20Mhz, long GI). So, in my setup it works just fine.

Have you just associated to the AP or did you also transfer some data?

Helmut
Children
No Data